I need info on a acoustic model 10

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonfehr1

Reaction score
I am looking to sell a Tokai acoustic but I am having trouble finding the specs on it. The lady who gave it to me said she bought it in 1968. It is in excellent condition. It has no pickguard on it and the headstock is not like any I have seen on this site. I can't find any of the complicated serial numbers that I see in the registry either. The model no just reads 10 and there is a tiny symbol on the back of the bottom of the fretboard. the sticker looks to be old enough, but it just reads:
Tokai
Guitar of quality
model no. 10
Made in Japan

I have re strung it with Jose Ramirez nylon strings and there is almost no wear and tear on it since she did not play it very often. There is also a really nice case with it that also has no wear and tear.I plan to sell it in my ebay store as soon as I can get some info on it. Please help!
dragonfehr1

ps dragonfehr1 is my seller ID on ebay if you want to check out this item when it's listed.

Try this link, there's a lot of information about acoustic Tokai guitars:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers7.tsukaeru.net%2Flevante40%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I looked on the site but I couldn't find much since I can't read Japanese and the site only translates less than half. but I did a search on this site and found an old thread where a guy had a model12 with the same problem I had about other numbers his label was square where mine is oval but he had owned his since 1969 I believe and his was the closest i had seen to mine yet. The answers to his questions about value were about $4500! If I cannot find definite information about mine do you think it is safe to assume mine has near the same value? Or should I just have an appraisal done professionally? I am pretty satisfied that the year of my model is correct based on his findngs, but I was quite surprised to have found the value to be much higher than I ever imagined.

dragonfehr1 said:
The answers to his questions about value were about $4500! If I cannot find definite information about mine do you think it is safe to assume mine has near the same value?
No, because you obviously overlooked my correction about the model numbers for old acoustic models at the top of the second page of that thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4202&start=15

So make that $450 list price in that year, and you're probably in the right direction.

and btw thanks hans for the link to the correction!
So your guitar is a pre-Cat?s Eye era,it's the first time I've seen any like yours.

so i guess mine must be too. I am so glad I found this site for my research. Without you guys I might have really been kicking myself if I sold it for $500 or something and found out later that I screwed myself over that badly. So thank you guys you rock!

Dragonfehr,

May I suggest since you don't have any bids on it yet that you update the ad with at least one decent shot of the sides and back of the guitar. WHY ?? Well a lot of older Japanese classicals used Jacaranda, a variety of Brazilian rosewood, and many serious buyers would be all over the guitar if they could see what the back was made of and what kind of patterns it has.

The Japanese really kicked *** making classical isntruments. I'm a big time fan of Alvarez-Yairi guitars, older ones, and know from experience what I speak. Good luck with your auction.

BigMike

Latest posts

Back