real springy sound?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifke

Reaction score
Hi,

I am offered this guitar as a 1984 springy sound. Is it real?

:-?

The JV serial raises questions (is it a squier?).

http://photobucket.com/albums/c399/jipsfoto/?sc=1&multi=3[/img]

rifke said:
Hi,

I am offered this guitar as a 1984 springy sound. Is it real?

The JV serial raises questions (is it a squier?).

http://photobucket.com/albums/c399/jipsfoto/?sc=1&multi=3[/img]

i am no expert on Tokais springys but i always thought that the Tokais had their truss rod adjustment thingy at the headstock not at the bottom of the neck, and im pretty sure that their serial numers do not start with JV...

im guessing that its a JV squier.. but saying that i have heard nothing but good things about those squiers they are supposed to be really nice....

i havent tried one out personally but have heard plenty people talk about thjem sayin they are great guitars...

From Dave

truss rod at the body end on my 60's replica and 50's as well tho the 50' has a plug at the headstock end, if it is a springy then the plate has been replaced, try and find out if it is really a tokai as there should be a number somethething like this 12=7 plus a couple of initials which should be the coulour bb for black na for natural etc these are under the pickguard.in one of the cavities. should be the same on the neck at the base where the trussrod adjuster is

Something is not right.....

JV serial numbers are Fender's - standing for Japanese Vintage - and were found on both the early Squires and Japanese Fenders - can't recall what year(s) but I think it was between 83 and 85 and yes they are fantastic guitars if you can find them. The string guides on the headstock certainly aren't Springy looking - but they could be aftermarket additions.

As far as the truss rod adjust at the headstock, if I'm not mistaken, unless its a bullet truss rod (ala the 70's strats or Tokai Silver Stars) that extend thru the neck at the headstock, all Strats have their truss rod adjustment on body end of the neck.

The only way to really tell what you are looking at is to get into the body cavity as Mike said and look at the usual identifying stamps, marks or written notations....

Hi rifke,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks to me like it could be a "bitsa" - a JV body with a Tokai neck, but as Mike Martin said you'd have to get inside to find out for sure.

The white 11-hole pickguard and very white p'up covers knobs & switch tip dont't look very 80's Tokai-like to me.

Of the couple of dozen I've had through my hands recently, all had 8-screw pickguards & very deep cream-coloured knobs & /or p'up covers.

As Marcus Nieman said, the JV markings were on early Fender Japan & "Squier by Fender" guitars made by Fuji Gen-Gakki.
I've played several of them, both around the time they first came out in 83, & also recently - and they are VERY nice indeed.

My collector friend in UK that I help procure guitars from Japan for prefers his favorite JV to any of his Springys (though he's had it re-fretted & other work done by top luthier Simon Pinder here in Hong Kong to get it to that state).

I've been playing out several nights a week for 30+ years & I myself definitely prefer the Tokais I've played from the same over his fave JV, & all the other JV's I've had/played.

I think it will prolly be a nice guitar, but unsure if the collector value would be as high as if it were 100% Tokai or 100% JV.
Hope that may be of some help in deciding if you go for it or not.

Have you played it?
How does it sound & feel?
How much is the seller asking for it?

Good luck - & please keep us updated.

thanks guys for the replies.

No i did not yet play it. I can buy it for 400 euro. That is a lot of money, even if the guitar sounds and plays right. The resale value will not be that good given its likely partscaster history.

I am hesitant to go and play it because it might give the impression I want to buy it for that kind of money. mmmmm.....

Latest posts

Back