Silver Star 1982 Catalouge Translation Re: Pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisheyes

Reaction score
A very generous Japanese friend of mine has translated the 1982 Tokai Catalouge with respect to what pickups were in the respective models

I know this "hand writing" catalogue, I have printed out all the pages with a laser printer in the office I work

Regarding pickups, it says, there are 4 kinds, 1) Dimazio Fat Strato (FS-1) for SS80, 85N, 2) ST-Vintage Mk2 for SS60, 3) SS-Super for SS48, 50, and SS Hot for SS38,40. All of these have fat and powerful sound.

Hope this helps with the Knowledge Base for these great '70's Strats :D

that s great info chris thanks m8

the "hot" are the U stamped? i know this has been discussed before, but i cant remember...

are these 4 type also the pickups used in springy sounds? if do, those U are clean, but i d never say they are "fat" sounding. mine (on a springy st55 from 79) are way thinner than the ones on my 81 ss38 silverstar from 81...

The FS-1 is a higher output pickup from DiMarzio, supposed to give 25% more volume output. The top end Springy's had 'E' Series which were
VS-1's. I suppose the difference is one is a Fat sound (FS-1) and the other is a Vintage sound (VS-1)

I'm not too sure whether U-Series are supposed to be the SS-Hot. More likely they are the SS-Super or the ST-Vintage Mk 2.

The original SS pickups I replaced in my '79 Silver Star have no markings on them and have relatively low resistance, below 7K ohms.

Hi guys,

The 'U' pickups are the ST-Vintage MkII and have a grey base.

The other 3 SilverStar pickups all have a black base. The big difference seems to be the colour of the wires used on the SS-Super and SS-Hot.

regards
Peter mac

Latest posts

Back