Goldstar - Help please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GStormcrow

Reaction score
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=320441

Can someone check there and tell me more about this guitar. And roughly whats the asking price like?

Thanks

hi
not a bad price, up here in belfast the music shops r lookin ?450
got any pics as there are a couple of types
i.e 50's and 60's
mike

What's a good Tokai strat anyway and how do they differ to fender? I went with a Tokai Les Paul because I dont trust Gibsons quality control anymore. A good tokai strat is on my list for next year. Budget would be about ?500 . At the moment I'm looking at something like this

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-169086.html

hi
i think that you will be hard pushed to find a fender that is better than a tokai unless you go to the 60's strats, spingy sounds and goldstar sound are the tok strats, and breezysound is the telecaster. all the japanese strats for europe in the 80's had the proper shaped strat headstock. i stockhavent come across any 90's tokais but they changed the shape of the headstock i think 2001 but the toks for the american market had the headstock changed in the 80's. there are some toks about like that one on the link you gave. i have a springysound some type of body but with the 60's type of neck rosewood board, i am almost pos i saw that tokai from the seller in dublin a few months ago a guy that was interested in a loverock i had sent me some pics of it, at the time i was looking for a sunburst tok thats why i never followed through , but i am sure that its the same one
mike

hi
btw tokai are now making the japanese fender reissue strats. and have stopped doing tokai strats. weird isnt it. :cry: :cry:

mike martin said:
hi
btw tokai are now making the japanese fender reissue strats. and have stopped doing tokai strats. weird isnt it. :cry: :cry:

The haven't stopped making strats, here's a new one for sale in Finland at the moment:

26825.jpg

I have an AST-50 that I bought new a couple of years ago.

Regarding the strat in the first post, it looks like a TST40 - the cheapest model. It has budget Gotoh tuners (not Kluson type) and a trem cast in one piece with cast saddles. It also has ceramic pickups (bar magnet), not alnico like the other models. It still is a great guitar if you just replace the tuners, the quality of the wood is the same as on the TST50.

Mike

Ok so what would be a good price to get the guitar for? I could offer something like ?300 which he migh sell for. Then I could upgrade whatever parts needed. Or will I just be better off picking up something else

hi javelin
you can still get them but they have definatley stopped pruduction of them now, i emailed a japanese dealer (ishibashi) to try and get one and he informed me that tokai only do the reissue fenders although they still do the loverocks
mike

GStormcrow said:
Ok so what would be a good price to get the guitar for? I could offer something like ?300 which he migh sell for. Then I could upgrade whatever parts needed. Or will I just be better off picking up something else

Yes, I think ?300-350 for a TST40 is ok. Then change the tuners for a set of Klusons (they will cover all the old screw holes except a small part of one of them) and a set of good pickups (the original pickups are actually not bad at all). I have an AST40 (altered headstock otherwise identical to the TST40) and it's a great guitar. I've replaced the tuners with a set of "Deluxe" marked Klusons and Seymour Duncan pickups and I love that guitar!

Mike

mike martin said:
hi javelin
you can still get them but they have definatley stopped pruduction of them now, i emailed a japanese dealer (ishibashi) to try and get one and he informed me that tokai only do the reissue fenders although they still do the loverocks
mike

Ok, but why would they stop making the Tokai strats when they have manufactured japanese Fenders since 1998? Both the UK importer and the finnish importer still lists them on their sites:

http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/springysound.htm

If it's true that they will not make the Goldstars anymore I guess I'll have to buy a japanese Fender strat and replace the Fender logo with a Tokai replacement logo :D the next time I want one.

Mike

hi javlin
dont know why, but i would guess it has something to with fender, but i really cant see them never building them again. i bought one a couple of years ago same as the photo . great guitar, but i hated the silly shaped headstock, thats when i contacted ishibashi, nokiro infomed me of the fender issue.http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4166. this is a thead i started about this. great idea about changing the decal.never thought of that.but i wonder how close to a tokai the fenders are, just that i have always felt comfortable with a tokai, cant say that about any strat except for 60's strats
mike

im selling a coooool springy sound from 1979 if u re interested. no one seems to care....sniff
anyway how do u guys rate mine against the more recent strats? iit s a 1979 st 55, there a post on the older than 1985 board. i ve never played any strat tokais apart from a 79springy, an 81 silverstar, and an 86 limited edition. how are the new ones?

chu71 said:
im selling a coooool springy sound from 1979 if u re interested. no one seems to care....sniff
anyway how do u guys rate mine against the more recent strats? iit s a 1979 st 55, there a post on the older than 1985 board. i ve never played any strat tokais apart from a 79springy, an 81 silverstar, and an 86 limited edition. how are the new ones?

Your guitar looks great! I've never played a Springy, just Goldstars but the Springys should be as good as the early Goldstars I guess. The new ones are also good but not as good as the early models. I think the guitar itself including the paint job is excellent but he hw/electronics are not of the same quality as on the early ones (except for the Kluson type tuners, they are ok). On the other hand the price of the new AST50 is the same as a TST50 20 years ago so I wouldn't expect the same quality. It still is a very good guitar considering what you pay for it.

You should put your Springy ad in the Classifieds section, that's where people are looking for stuff that's for sale! It seems to be a very nice Springy, I would love to have it myself but I already have three Tokai strats and they all have maplenecks!

Mike

hi chu71
i have sent u a pm , have you recieved it. if not how much u lookin for the springy
mike martin

so one more quest...if springies are 60s ffender model based and silverstars are 70s fender, where does this leave the goldstar sounds?

chu71 said:
so one more quest...if springies are 60s ffender model based and silverstars are 70s fender, where does this leave the goldstar sounds?

Both Springys and Goldstars are 50's and 60's models, they just changed the name. The cheaper models (40) are not specific replicas but have the small headstock. For example the TST40 mapleneck has a 3-ply 11 screw pickguard and cast bridge saddles which a 50's strat doesn't have.

My lastest Tokai strat is a combination of a 1984 TST50 '64 replica and a 1984 TST60 (probably) 50's v-neck. I bought the guitar with a Mighty Mite neck installed which I replaced with the TST60 neck I had. The original neck is warped unfortunately. It's a great guitar. The metallic red color was available both on the 50's and 60's replicas.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4370

Mike

a good luthier can perform a heat treatment to straighten the neck out with great results. I had this done on two of my guitars.

Good luck

brad347 said:
a good luthier can perform a heat treatment to straighten the neck out with great results. I had this done on two of my guitars.

Good luck

A previous owner has already tried that but it didn't seem to work. They then removed the fingerboard and it became a little better but it's still slightly warped. I have the neck and a new ebony fingerboard + fretwire. I might try to fix it otherwise I'll sell the parts to someone who might want to try and fix it. I like the guitar as it is now with the mapleneck so I really have no reason to keep the old neck.

Mike

Back