ever seen this color?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad347

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to Tokai guitars. Someone will probably be able to answer this right off the bat

Ever seen the color of this guitar? It's a TST-56 I think from around '84.

Would this be a 'custom color' or was it a standard finish? Also, do you know the name of this color? thanks!

cc_12.jpg

Yes, this is the standard gold color (i.e. no special order), but not seen very often. It's probably later than 1984, because the pointy headstock shape came up 1985, as far as I know.

interesting. The reason I think it's about '84 is because there's a picture on the tokai registry site of all the headstocks, and this one (with the reshaped headstock and 7okai logo) was only under '1984.' Do you have any other info to suggest that it's later?

This is the identical headstock to mine
tf_script4.jpg

The website said that the reshaped headstock came up in '84 on the AST-56 and 62 models, and mine is a TST-56, which I understand is the AST-56 for the American market.

Mine also has the 7okai logo as opposed to the Tokai logo, which looks like it was '84 only (?)

If i'm wrong please let me know.

thanks for the info. That gold color is sweet, I think.

Hi guys

The colour is GM (Gold Metallic) On ST models it is a custom colour (eg ST-55, ST65 etc)
On the AST-56 or TST-56 (altered headstock models)it was an offered colour as the '56 and '62 series did not have a price distinction as the standard ST models did.
Maple neck should have 4-digit serial number and i would place the year at around '83 or '84 depending on the serial number.
The AST-56/62's were for the American market and the TST-56/62's were for the European market.
Australia only received the ST models as we were considered part of the Asian market

regards
Peter Mac

brad347 said:
The website said that the reshaped headstock came up in '84 on the AST-56 and 62 models, and mine is a TST-56, which I understand is the AST-56 for the American market.
I just went through the available catalogs on the main site again, and in the 1984 catalog there is no Strat or Tele with pointed headstock, the TST have the smaller pre-CBS style and the TSS the bigger CBS Fender shape. The first catalog that shows this headstock on the AST models is the one with Stevie Ray Vaughan on the cover, saying "1985-1986". The one from 1985 with Tim Farriss (maybe for the Australian market) still has the rounded headstock on TST models. So I don't know where that information on the main site comes from, but you should rather rely on Peter, because I'm not a Fender copy expert at all.

Latest posts

Back