real tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerre

Reaction score
Hi,
is this a real Tokai? and from what year is it? the seller says it from 83', but im not sure about that.
the serial no. is 14735 I think.
Here are a few pictures
ebayfoto_s017.jpg

ebayfoto_s015.jpg

105754011.jpg

the owner asks 525 euros for it, is this too much?
regards

Hiya

I would ask for more photo's as the bridge is stamped ESP not 'Tokai' or 'Final Prospec'

It could have had a replacement bridge fitted.

A better way to tell if it's a tokai is to ask for photo's of the pickups, neck pickup cavity and the end of the neck, below the truss rod screw.

hi,
he says the pickups got a "U" stamp, and the guitar has serial no. 14795.

hi,
he says the pickups got a "U" stamp, and the guitar has serial no. 14795.
and on the neck is a small sticker with ST?55 on it, he couldn't identify one number or letter.

:eek: I have an 84' Greco Strat with U pickups so you got a lot of confusion here! Have you played it? Is the price a good one? If it's a good price and you need a Strat ... it's made of good parts! The neck is a Tokai no doubt and if the "Price is Right"!! Take a shot. I would change the pickguard to a single ply . It has the good machines 8) TG

hi st55 usually is a custom colour st50 normal colours last 5 in model is for non standard colours i have seen quite a few of that coulour of blue, but with a 62 type neck , but none of them had stickers on the back, they are taken off quite often, but something is wrong ,either the pickguard has been changed to the 60's type, or neck has been changed.take the pickguard of and check for any redrilled screw holes.cause that pickguard is a 60,s type and the neck is a50's.a single ply pickguard has only 8 screw holes which would be on a 50, replica. so if the body has only 11 screw holes that would indicate that tokai neck has been put on the body. but if there are extra holes then it is probably that it is just the pickguard has been changed, hope that helps

mike martin said:
.... a single ply pickguard has only 8 screw holes which would be on a 50, replica. so if the body has only 11 screw holes ....

Is this not only valid for the Springy Sounds??

.... and not for the Silver- and Gold Stars..?

ref. page 37, Tokai catalog, Spring 1982, Vol. 5

my '83-84ish TST-56 has the 8-hole pickguard, so no, I guess it's not only valid for the springysounds.

hi guys

The guitar looks like a TST-55 MB (Metallic Blue)
Copy of '58 strat, so it should have:
* 5-digit serial#
* single ply 8 hole scratchplate
*'U' stamped pickups
* Custom colour (MB)

If you buy it, hav a look inside the body cavity for code (eg 8=11 MB )
the number part should also be repeated on the base of the neck.

regads
Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back