Tokai Les Paul Reborn from 1980?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought a Tokai Les Paul Reborn via Ebay. The seller told me that it's manufactured in 1980.

The serial is 0007xxxxx.

Now I've just read that Les Paul Reborns were just manufacured from 1977 - 1979.

Could somebody tell me if Les Paul Reborns were also manufactored in 1980?

Many thanks.

Are you sure it's a Les Paul Reborn and not a Reborn Old? If it's a LP Reborn it may have snuck in under the cutoff of '79

Yes, it's a Les Paul Reborn. That's what I wonder about. Did they manufacture Les Paul Reborns in 1980 as well?

Yes, Reborn Olds, 1980 is the transition year where both Reborns and Love Rocks existed. Why don't you post the ebay link so everyone can have a look?

Good idea:

Please find the link as follows:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7346254095&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Oh yes, the "Heavy Metal Reborn" I recently posted in the ebay alert section... had it been relisted or are you rather the original buyer?

Heavy Metal Reborn?? What does this mean?

Yes, I'm the original buyer.

I chose that title, because 1. it's black, and there's some John Sykes guy playing a black Les Paul that everybody from that department seems to want at the moment and 2. it weighs 9lbs, 12oz which might be the reason why it's so clean for a 25 year old guitar (no one could lift it...) ;)

:eek:) thanks for the explanation.

I've just received the guitar yesterday. it's awesome. I also like the weith so you can feel the guit. better. ;o)

so do you know if it's really manufactured in 1980?

Well, if that serial number and/or the logo has been faked, it would be too much trouble=time for the faker to complete the guitar in my opinion (check the front headstock for any signs of refinishing). After all it's the lowest model LS50, and if he wants to fake something, he probably would rather take a higher model with an assumed higher ebay selling price. Furthermore I think this seller has been around for some time already, but you might want to check it for yourself, e.g. with the forum search. So I would also agree with Ned that this seems to be a very early 1980 (000... might indicate that), maybe with a left over decal from a Les Paul Reborn instead of a Reborn Old.

Thanks for the information. I agree with you and think that it isn't a fake.

Also it would make no sense in my opinon to change the headstock overlay from Reborn Old to Lease Paul Reborn. Probably Tokai manufactured some Les Paul Reborns in early 1980?!

Well; anyway it's a great guitar in my opinon and even better than a normal Gibson.

What do you say?

Here's the old thread I started:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4099

I usually only post something in that section if it strikes me to have something special, but of course I don't know how this one sounds or feels compared to a Gibson.

From the pictures I cannot believe that its that old a guitar. It looks so new! (Not that I am doubting it!)

Congratulations Bert! I think that particular Tokai is a real beauty!

I do have a Les Paul Reborn from 1980 with serial starting 000 too and I'm quite sure it no fake. I has been owned by other forum members before and it's a really gret one (Thanks Terry!).

I think 1980 is the year they made some Les Pauls reborns, then Roborn Olds and by the end of the year Love Rocks!

Yep, I sold that one to Wolf and can confirm that it is indeed a 1980 Reborn. I haven't seen too many Reborn Old's and I have two other LS-80's from 1980 which went straight to "Love Rocks", and they are identical guitars in every way, to the earlier Reborn version (cept not as nice as Wolf's one ;))

I've just bought a 1980 LS60 Love Rock with an inked serial No. starting "01", which has caused some confusion, as it's got all the original features like the eBay one (double ring tuners), as well as the stylised "bell" TRC, cream uncovered "PAF" stamped pickups, and a PCB in the control cavity. All in a really nice Tobacco Sunburst/Violin Finish on the plain, unfigured maple top.

Not a 2001 then. ;)

Comparing it to my '99 LS70, all the specs are the same, neck, 2 piece body etc, etc. except that it is a good few pounds lighter. It's even lighter than my solid mahogany '78 Iceman!

Mine must be a late 1980 model/transition, and the Reborn must be an early 80 model.

The model and year confusion continues.....

I get the impression from all this confusion is that, like Ibanez, Tokai must have gone through major changes in the model range in 1980. Although the spec and shape of the different models seems the same, the model name and serial no's are all over the shop.

When did Gibson threaten Tokai with the lawsuit? Or at least got their lawyers to breath heavily down the necks of the smaller company.

Back