LS100, LS120, LS150 or LS200 ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togps

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.de/TOKAI-LOVE-ROCK-1982-Vintage-LP-59-Replica_W0QQitemZ7347713388QQcategoryZ46648QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Ebay seller is at present time as its vacation. Enjoy your holidays. He'll be back at the end of the auction. So we cannot expect any helping comments from his side.

The seller claims a LS 120 or LS200, 1982.

So what is it.? Is it a LS80, a LS100, a LS120, a LS150 or LS200 ?

1. From the top it is not a LS80, obviously upwards
2. One piece body
3. Pups are changed. No info re original pups.
4. The TRC is not original.
5. No info about the parts in the control cavity.
6. Fret binding?
7. Tuner knobs seems ok.
8. Brass saddles on the bridge is usual upwards LS80.
9. The R of Love Rock is not complete - minor fault. Does'nt matter.

Looking forward....

togps said:
The Ebay seller is at present time as its vacation. Enjoy your holidays. He'll be back at the end of the auction. So we cannot expect any helping comments from his side.
Niedersachsen, hmmm... ;)

4c_1.JPG

1. From the top it is not a LS80, obviously upwards
Right, if it is solid, then it's a high-class top because of the visible quartersawn lines. The hardware obviously is aged nickel, might be done artificially, because it looks a bit too old for me. The pictures all have a blueish taint to it, so the color of the top might be faded violin finish.

3. Pups are changed. No info re original pups.
I highly recommend these Gibson P-94 to anyone who likes the original P-90 sound from a Les Paul. ;) It seems Gibson doesn't make them anymore, so they get quite pricey, too.

4. The TRC is not original.
Right, could be from a Reborn which had these bigger ones. [Later...] He might have bought it here:
http://stores.ebay.de/Frankys-Guitars-and-Parts_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

5. No info about the parts in the control cavity.
True, that could tell if it's a LS200 without PC board, oil caps etc.

6. Fret binding?
He says so, and it also looks like that on the visible neck parts.

8. Brass saddles on the bridge is usual upwards LS80.
I don't see any brass on the bridge, it looks like my LS120 which fades to grey and then copper.

9. The R of Love Rock is not complete - minor fault. Does'nt matter.
I wonder when mine will come off... :(

So without the usual picture from the bridge cavity to check the maple top it's not possible to say for sure if this might be a high end Love Rock or not. The neck profile might tell if it's a '58 (LS80) or '59 version which Tokai classified as "Vintage series". And the weight would be interesting, too. My LS120 weighs 4.2kg, by the way.

Relisted with starting bid EUR 1,199:

http://cgi.ebay.de/TOKAI-LOVE-ROCK-1982-Vintage-LP-59-Replica_W0QQitemZ7351293086QQcategoryZ46648QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same pictures and text except that he'll add humbuckers if desired.

I'd like to see a real close pic of the Neck cavity or the brige cavity,

I have a nice Burny from the eighties that looks like a Flametop with the visable quarter sawn line but when I opened her up the center seam was off over one inch-

Well, he states in the auction that it is a LS120, so maybe he has an old bill proving it or something like that. It would also be interesting to have a look at the control cavity, because there should be a PC board then if he didn't take it out.

Seller lowered starting bid to EUR 999, but wants to keep the P-94s now... ;)

I think it's interesting that some of the ebay auctions with high starting bids have lowered their price recently, e.g. that "Blue Moon" Love Rock with quilted top or Skywolf's 1980 Reborn which seems to interest more buyers now.

Back