Thinking of replacing "circuit board" controls on

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottA

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing the circuit board controls on an '83 LS80 with an upgrade kit from RS guitarworks:

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=153

Anyone have any experience with this? I put one of these kits into my R9 a few weeks ago and it works pretty well. The full range of the tone knobs is usable, but honestly I don't know if it made a major difference in the tone.

Thanks,

Scott

band site: www.swampcoolermusic.com

ScottA said:
Anyone have any experience with this? I put one of these kits into my R9 a few weeks ago and it works pretty well. The full range of the tone knobs is usable, but honestly I don't know if it made a major difference in the tone.
I don't have personal experience with ripping the circuit board out, but a few members did that, I think hoss was one of them (maybe you can find some posts from him about that). The LS320 doesn't come with a circuit board either, so it's up to you to experiment. ;)

If you only want a different sound from the tone knob at 0 (less dull, more like Brian May etc.), you can simply swap the capacitor with a lower value like 4.7nF, that's what I do to all my guitars.

Hi Scott - several guys have asked this. Personally, on a nice vintage Love rock like LS80 I would keep the thing stock. Is there something lacking in the tone do you feel, eg against the R9? I guess the change is reversible though, so try it by all means (my money is on ?no worthwhile diff.?) :-? .

Ian.

When Gibson owners talked about upgrading the stock pots on their Historic models to something more "useable", I wasn't sure what they meant because controls on my '84 Love Rock (with PC board) seemed so resonsive and the tone was terrific. I used to think, "But how can it get better than this?". It wasn't until I got an R9 myself that I saw what they meant - the stock ones are very unresponsive, limited and muddy (just what you'd expect on a $4000+ guitar, right? :wink: ). I'm definitely going to change those, but I'm hesitant to do it on the LR because, even though vintage wiring looks cooler than a PCB, I've got absolutely no complaints about the workings of the Tokai controls.

ScottA, hope you'll keep us updated.

Hi Guys - my '79 Les Paul LS80 Reborn does not have the board - is this correct or what - the caps and pots all have Japanese markings? If it aint original does anyone out there have a board they want to flog? Oh Gawd! :-?

Thanks,
Mike.

spikeymikey said:
Hi Guys - my '79 Les Paul LS80 Reborn does not have the board - is this correct or what - the caps and pots all have Japanese markings? If it aint original does anyone out there have a board they want to flog? Oh Gawd! :-?
I think there's a picture of a Reborn control cavity without circuit board in either the '78 or '79 catalog on the main site, but I don't remember for which model.

Ta for that H-J, I guess its not a problem if it isnt totally original - it sounds great either way. I dont think these p-ups have any markings - the front does'ent for sure - no 'x' or whatever. Its a beautiful sounding unit though - really exceptional.
Thanks again,
Mike.

A 79 LS80 Reborn without the circuit board, in the Catalogues, really? Where?

Afaik, originally LS80 should have the board. 1978 catalogue does show the board. I see a photo of cavity without board in 1981 for Love rock (ie with discrete caps), but hard to read model id (& if it does say less than LS120 I?d be wary of wrong photo caption).

Anything?s possible where early Tokai are concerned, & certainly possible that Tokai made custom changes at customer requests (circuit board is an odd concept, so I guess some buyers may have wanted it removed), but I believe board is standard fitting on Reborn LS80.

Mike ? I wouldn?t worry about any effect on tone, but I guess plenty have guys have removed those boards, so you could probably buy one & replace it pretty easily if you wanted complete originality (seems to work fine as far as I see/hear). :-?

Ian.

Back