1984 Jazz Sound Rare Model Bass

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonic boom

Reaction score
:D Hi all,
I am new to this site and very inspired by how helpful everyone is. Ive been wanting to own a Tokai Jazz sound for many years and have recently purchased one from ebay recently. I am a little worried about the bass for a couple of reasons. The bass is listed as a 1984 Rare model Jazz it has a red body and headstock, I have found the model listed in the 1984 catalogue on this site. My first concern that the back plate is stamped with L with 5 numbers but the plate seemed to be upside down, the seller told me it had been refretted just before he had bought it which could account for it being upside down. Secondly the body has just started to develop wear since my purchase and the metallic translucent red has worn a little showing a silver metallic colour underneath, is this usual? or is it indicating that this is a refinished bass? also the logo on the headstock is slightly mottled and the lettering not 100 percent perfect on the wording Jazz sound, i am a bit worried that i have been sold a made up bass. How can I tell? other than that it plays fantastically and sounds amazing. Please help me to ease mind if possible. :-? :D

Hi Sonic Boom, welcome to the Forum 8) .

Hmm, does sound a bit suspicious. OK, well I know zero about any Bass guitars, Tokai included ... but on other Tokai Fender copies I?d expect words like ?Deluxe? stamped on saddles & tuner-housing.

Really need some photos (try my instructions here if you don?t know how to post photos http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3764&highlight=photobucket ).

Sounds like owner refinished it & put neckplate back upside down ? he may have needed a replacement decal (which you can buy), and maybe didn?t do the refinish too well. Still, does sound suspicious & I guess you want to act quickly in case of a refund?

OK, take neck off & remove the pickguard & pups ? look at butt end of neck for a printed mark something like ?5 = 9?, look in pickup cavities & control cavity for similar printed marks. Also look for printed marks on base of pickups. Let us know what you find (or better still post pics).

Ian.

:D :D :D :D Thanx Guitar god,
Everything seems ok in terms of markings, other than I can't find deluxe marked on tuners etc, but it seems ok. I even took off the scratch plate and scratched under the surface and no silver underneath, which is baffling considering on the slight wear edge there appears to be a metallic silver. Still ive got a fantastic sounding bass that I am pretty sure to be genuine. Thanx for your help and keep the good work up.

sonic boom :D :D :D :D

Ha,? you?re welcome 8) . Sorry about the "Guitar God" business lol :) .

Ian.

Latest posts

Back