..so, what are those old Gotoh pickups made out of, anyway?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolero

Reaction score
well, plugged in this LS60, and gotta admit, I'm pretty surprised at how good it sounds...

what's the story on these pickups? ie: construction...magnets etc?

they sound a bit brasher than my other PAF-style pups: heavier/more distorted when the amp is cranked...more in your face...and a little harsher on the high end. but they're not bad at all.

btw the guitar is pretty light for a LP, and it is a total blast to play!!

cheers, & thx for any feedback.

bolero said:
what's the story on these pickups? ie: construction...magnets etc?
I think I mentioned it before, anyhow my guess is that the magnets are either Alnico II or III, but not V, because at least my 1984 model with ~8.3 kOhm does not produce the output of an Alnico V PAF with such impedance. Earlier Tokai PAFs do look different than mine though, and I don't know how many winds they have.

they sound a bit brasher than my other PAF-style pups: heavier/more distorted when the amp is cranked...more in your face...and a little harsher on the high end. but they're not bad at all.
That's what I hear, too, although I think the distortion mainly happens in the mids (typical for Alnico II models) and not in the bass, because there is less punch than with an Alnico V PAF. It also is a little less dynamic concerning the attack which makes it harder to produce different sounds with smoother or harder picking. The highs are clear and Tele- or Strat-like for me, i.e. not icepicky in a dark sounding guitar, but this is how most vintage PAFs are supposed to sound, as far as I know.

btw the guitar is pretty light for a LP, and it is a total blast to play!!
Now there you go... :wink:

Latest posts

Back