Just bought an 1981 LS50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuattroSte

Reaction score
What do I expect from this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7326688515

What about the price? Tell me the truth don't hold back. :eek: :-?

If its bad news I don't mind that much cos I was half drunk when I bid(well I am Irish) and there were plenty of other bidders so I can resell!

Well if you want classic rich woody Les Paul tone then expect a killer guitar ? congratulations 8) . Also reminds that where I wrote ?1981 SN=10xxxxxx? in Registry, I should have written ?SN=1x xxxxx? for 1981, lol. :oops:

LS50 should have unmatched 3-piece top, but can?t tell from photos on that one. Notice the "Tokai" stamped tuners, typical of early Tokai (later examples mostly stamped ?Deluxe?), and also the double cream pups with hex-pole adjusters(?), again typical of early Tokai afai-recall ? all looks good to me :-? .

Of course, old guitars often have issues with worn frets & action or relief that needs adjusting, so be prepared to get that stuff sorted before any final judgement. Few scrapes on rear, and shown with a case that?s not actually included but you know all that stuff, right?

Ian.

congrats!!

Guiness, Harp, or Kilkenny? ( is Kilkenny Irish? I think so...in any case, it's bloody good stuff!! )

I just picked one up too, they're pretty cool gtrs IMO

Price is good, & cheap shipping with no Duty within EU (I guess you?ll still get stung for VAT though?). Presume you noticed that SN looks like inked type, & lots of previous debate here about that (brief note in Registry too) ? don?t really want to get into that issue again, but you may want to read that stuff (try a search for ?inked? or whatever). If you decide to check the pups, let us know if they're stamped Dimarizio or Gotoh ... believe both companies made similar looking types around 1980. :-?

Ian

Well if you want classic rich woody Les Paul tone then expect a killer guitar
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats exactly what I am looking for.

I'll have a look into the whole inked issue and the pickups after I receive the guitar and try it, without any preconceptions. To be honest I read over the whole gigbag thing without noticing and assumed case was included. Ah well.

Thanks all

Ask him about that case. Moan and cry and tell him that's the "gigbag" you thought you'd get. Do what you gotta do to get that case!

And the guitar ain't bad either. :wink:

Can't get the case. It was sold with another guitar last week.

I just read the 6 pages of Inked v Stamped serial #'s. Interesting if not a bit confusing! :eek:

Anyway now the wait starts! COME ON, COME ON, HURRY UP! :p

Ha... don't know what the Post Office is like in Wicklow, but it's bloomin slow in London! Guitar usually arrives at Heathrow Customs within 48 hours, but then spends a week sitting around various UK warehouses :roll: .

But here's a tip - Do NOT go down to the local delivery office to collect it, wait until they actually deliver it to your door. Why? Well, if you get impatient & go to the delivery office then they're CERTAIN to hand you the Tax bill ... but if they deliver to your door then you have a 25% chance of getting the guitar with NO Tax or duty at all. 8)

Ian

Congrats on the "inky."
Mine looks very similar so I think you'll be pleased with it. Bet it has PAFs "made by Goto."
I'd love to see a picture of underneath the rhythm pickup and neck joint when you get it.
enjoy!

Ian,

I was thinking of getting it delivered to my job in Dublin. Posting a letter from Dublin to Wicklow can take days :roll: and the two counties are right next door. :eek:

Loudmouse,
I plan on playing it for about a week to get a bit of a feel for it then I am going to investigate its make up and electronics. I will take and post pictures.

Nice one QuattroSte-congratulations -She looks ace and I'm sure will sound amazing. I along with Loudmouse would like to see under the front P-up. I think the price is OK too- shame about that case though.Hope its got Goto's.

Mike.

It arrived to my job this morning. First impressions is that it look great. Its a 3 piece top but the joins are hardly noticable unless up close which is pretty cool as it looks like a 1 piece. It needs a good clean up and the cosmetic damage to the bottom is quite nasty. Other than that she seems fine and he gave me a hard case aswell(not a great one but better than none)

Overall it looks very vintage so I am happy. The neck pickup is very low. Is it supposed to be this way? Anyway I'll try it our at home later and get back to you all. Happy Monday!!! :lol:

QuattroSte said:
The neck pickup is very low. Is it supposed to be this way?
Judging from the larger ebay picture I would say it's not too low on the bass strings and as high as the bridge pickup on the treble side. You would have to listen to the amount of bass coming from the neck pickup while switching between the two to find out if they are well balanced.

Thanks hans-j?rgen.

Well I'm blown away! :p I couldn't have asked for more for 600 euro! It sounds great. I would love to plug in a LP and do a compare. Couldn't believe the sounds I was getting. Just what was missing from my collection!

I need to give it a good clean and re-string it and try to set it up the way I like em. I'll take pictures of neck pickup cavity then and post them.

I think I prefare this to my ES100 which was twice the price :eek:

QuattroSte said:
I need to give it a good clean and re-string it and try to set it up the way I like em. I'll take pictures of neck pickup cavity then and post them.
By the way, how many pieces does the body and the neck have? And do you have an ohm meter to measure the pickup impedance perhaps?

I think I prefare this to my ES100 which was twice the price :eek:
OK, I'll take it for EUR 600,-... ;)

I don't have an ohm meter and I wouldn't know how to use one :oops:

The body seems to be 1 piece with a 3 piece maple top. The neck may well have 2 pieces as there seem to be a difference in the neck woods where the neck and body joins. Unfortunatly I am no expert but I will take pictures and you can tell me what you think.

600 for the ES 100 :D I have told myself that the ES100 will be only fully appreciated when I become a half decent guitarist!! I love the sound from it when other people play it and I am looking forward to trying it with the Vox Tube overdrive pedal. It arrived today to my job but I am in Warsaw for a couple of days :(

Latest posts

Back