Voodoo or Tom Holmes pafs in Tokai Es150R?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicrose

Reaction score
I own a Tokai ES150R, made early 1981, a fantastic naturel blonde beauty with gorgeous birdseye maple top and back. This is a perfect replica of a 1959 ES 335 and I'm very happy with it. What I'd really like to know is if there are any Tokai ES owners out there who have replaced the original pu's with Voodoo (Peter Florance) or Tom Holmes pafs? I want to get a sound that's close to the sound of an old '59 paf and read some very good things about these pu's. I'm very curious what your experiences are with these pafs in a Tokai ES guitar. Who?

classicrose said:
I'm very curious what your experiences are with these pafs in a Tokai ES guitar. Who?
Sorry, not in an ES copy, but I tested a set of Tom Holmes PAFs in two Love Rocks recently. They sound quite clear with a lot of highs (7.95 and 7.23 kOhm), so the perfect match for them was the plain top LS 60 which has strong mids on its own. If your ES also has this tone when played dry, they should fit in. On the other hand they got very expensive since Tom Holmes declared to quit the pickup winding business (about US $600 and more), so maybe the original Tokai PAFs will be good enough, too? :wink:

hans-j?rgen said:
classicrose said:
I'm very curious what your experiences are with these pafs in a Tokai ES guitar. Who?
Sorry, not in an ES copy, but I tested a set of Tom Holmes PAFs in two Love Rocks recently. They sound quite clear with a lot of highs (7.95 and 7.23 kOhm), so the perfect match for them was the plain top LS 60 which has strong mids on its own. If your ES also has this tone when played dry, they should fit in. On the other hand they got very expensive since Tom Holmes declared to quit the pickup winding business (about US $600 and more), so maybe the original Tokai PAFs will be good enough, too? :wink:
The original Tokai PAFs sound very good, but I think when I put the right pu's in this awesome guitar, it will really sound killer! I have the Tom Holmes as well as the Peter Florance Voodoo PAFs. My Tom Murphy (traded the Murphy in to buy a Gibson Cherry ES 335 1964) aged LP Goldtop 1957 was equipped with the Holmes and sounded really fantastic. Shame I had to let her go... But the Voodoo's seem to nail the old PAF sound very well, so I hope someone wants to share his experiences with Holmes' or Voodoo's in his ES 335, 345, 355?

I think you should try some Jim Rolph pickups in the Tokai's. Jim will even age them for you. If you tell him what you are putting them in he will match the pickup to the guitar. I also like Peter's VooDoo. Frailins sound great in my Edwards custom. Just a thought.

Never be satisfied with the setup and sound tweeking abilities.

Back