Assistance Needed and appreciated.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSouvlaki

Reaction score
Hi guys, can you please help me determine what model this Tokai is and what realistic value it should be and whether it would be worth bidding?

Web link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7321329367&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

Thanks

BigSouvlaki

I think it looks like a TSS-38, a Silver Star with an alder body, maple neck, round-lam rosewood board, big headstock, three bolt plate, tuners look original. This would be one of the lower priced models, which you can confirm by reading the catalogs on the Registry site.

If the frets are not too worn and the pickups are original you will have a good sounding CBS-era Strat replica on your hands. These are not especially desirable to Strat collectors and other purists, who tend to think that everything Fender made after the CBS acquisition was junk. Therefore, in their eyes, a Japanese copy of a less-than-desirable Fender product line is something to be avoided.

Many collectors are beswoggled with small headstocks and four bolt neckplates, and tend to laugh to scorn the CBS-era stuff. If you happen to like the slightly more narrow neck widths and big headstocks and don't care what the collectors think, they can be bargains - but they will probably not increase much in value. But if you want a good player, that's not a bad thing.

They are rare outside Japan (they were only released to the Japanese market, as far as I know) but that doesn't necessarily mean they are worth more because there seem to be at least three or four of them put up on Ebay every week. They are worth a bid but like everything else it'll be worth what you think it's worth, and playing-wise, I doubt you'll be disappointed should you nab it. Rosewood boards seems to be more desirable to players for some reason, so it may cost a bit more than an all maple neck.

Hope this helps.

Steve

It?s the one we discussed before, right? The one you were originally interested in? OK, my comments are exactly same as before ? I wouldn?t buy it, for all the reasons I gave before :( .

If I wanted to buy on eBay I?d stick to sellers with a reputation for being clear & honest. Try ?Japanoldguitar?.

OK, this one is in UK, so price will probably end up too high (everything in UK is twice the price of USA or Japan), but just an example what I think you should be looking for - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7320736713&rd=1. 2cents :-?

Ian.

Back