Another Tokai found but is this real? please help me.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSouvlaki

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals

I found another Tokai and I am interested in it however I am confussed and so are some of my mates if this thing is the real McKoy, below is the sellers information provided and below that is my email to him and his reply. Can someone clarify this for me please.

Thanks Heaps!

Bigsouvlaki

SELLERS INFO BELOW:-
Another guitar with 100 stories and myths attached. Any Tokai we get through always brings a new crop of question.. how old is it, where was it made, what wood is it, etc This is a nice feeling solid weight (ash?) early ?80?s Japanese made ?70?s style Strat. It?s got all the good features, 3 bolt neck, large headstock, bullet trussrod, clear & glassy sounding flat pole piece pickups and great sustain. All of it adds up to a guitar that a ?70?s Strat should be, but where the real thing so often falls short.

MY EMAIL TO SELLER:-

Dear bigsouvlaki,

You asked:
"Hi what is the serial number to this guitar and is there more history to it? you selling on consignment? where did it come from etc, Regards"

SELLERS REPLY TO MY EMAIL:-

serial number is 7 didgit stamped on tremolo cover. Serial number is 508303. Much more info can be found here; http://www.tokairegistry.com/faq/tokai-faq.html.

I?ve never played a Silverstar, & don?t really know enough about them (compared to Goldstars, Springys & Breezys), but on early ones at least, the SN is on the headstock. Seller is giving the usual sales ?hype?, the features he lists are not as he claims ?all the good features? (ie 3-bolt neck, large headstock & bullet truss-rod), on the contrary those are the unfashionable features which make the Silverstar less desirable & cheaper than the other Fender copies. That?s not a criticism, they seem nice guitars, but those features make them less popular. Try a search here, because quite a bit has been written about them recently.

You don?t give your location, whereabouts are you? There were several very nice Goldstars on sale in UK (eBay) over last few weeks, & they all went for bargain prices. Otherwise the well-known Japanese eBay sellers like Japanoldguitar & Seikosuro regularly advertise good original 1980?s Tokai Fender copies at reasonable prices. I'd look in that direction before buying from someone using sales hype about desirable 3-bolt neckplates etc. 2cents.

Ian.

Silver Stars have serial number on the front of headstock,but a '66 Fender replica could have serial number in the neck plate if original model have in that way as Tokai are very accurate replicas.Silver Stars are really nice guitars with fantastics necks,at least for my hand and you can get them relativly cheap.

Ian I am in Sydney Australia.

Thorugh my a friend of mine I only targeted the Fenders for collection certain models, such as the John English Custom Builts, a few of the 60 Fenders and early 70's.

Now Im hooked on the Tokai's :D

So if one is truthfull in his word and points me out to a bargain which in time the guitar will become collectablle and highly sought, I will look at buying. But that does not mean each guitar Im pointed to I buy, I will do research and ask questions beforehand.

Anyway thank you for your post on this topic.

BigSouvlaki

Oh I forgot to say I sent this guy another email asking him to send me clear pictures of this Tokai, front to back top to bottom. If he sends I will add them to my website and let you guys give Judgment on the Guitar.

See if he replys.

BigSouvlaki

Latest posts

Back