Date Stamp on Golstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef

Reaction score
Like to Date my Goldstar - Looking at the Headstock guide on the registry it's an ST50 84-86?

However, there are date stamps on the Neck heel and in the control cavity I'm told, with the format "n=n" (n being a number). I've not looked for these, but does anyone one know how the date is worked out (I have seen one on ebay with "9=3" stamped on it)?

If this is all true, then why is it not on the registry (or have I not been looking hard enough!

Any help appreciated - Cheers

Keef

Hi Keef,
I`ve been looking into this n=n dating thing for a while now and i think the the first number is the month and the second is the year,based on the fact that i have a definite 1983 block logo neck which is neck stamped
12=3 ie december 83.But this theory could be blown out the water if someone else had a block logo neck(only available in 83)which for example had a 5 as the second number.As for the head stock logo you refer to on your Goldstar fitting 84-86,well this logo is still being used and in the U.K late 80`s Goldstars & Breezysounds looked no different to the 84-86 version because we still had the Fender h/stock shape.Hope this helps.Regards Frenchie.

Keef , you said ?if this is all true? (ie re n=n being dates), well it?s NOT true (leaving aside what Frenchie said). Try a search here ? there?s loads of discussion on what I?ve called x=y numbers, but so far the numbers have defied any systematic description (inc. comparison with Japanese Calendar dates).

Frenchie ? Block logo is nice guitar, but the 12=3 is almost certainly just a coincidence re 1983 :( .

Ian.

Hi Ian.
I take on board what you say,and must admit that there was always a doubt in my mind about x-y numbers actually referring to date of manufacture.Now the thought is dawning upon me that maybe aside from known cases such as Silverstars,Tokai don`t use serial numbers for manufacture dates,maybe they`re just batch/production line information
numbers,Thanks for the debate.Frenchie

The Gibson copies have 7-digit S/N's which do give date, and early Fender 7okai copies pre-1980 follow same 7-digit numbering/dating system ... one day we'll discover what those x=y codes mean, but even then it may not help much with dating/id.

Ian.

Back