Pickups in LS 80

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

chris e d
Plucker

Pickups in LS 80

Post by chris e d » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:53 am

Hallo!

I'm proud owner of a 1984 ls80 sunburst. I always thought there were dimarzio paf pickups used - sounds like paf to me - I never thought of replacing them. Now I read here that Tokai Pus are used in the in the ls 80 les pauls.
That won't make me hate them off course ;-)

My question: What difference can you experts hear between them? Also got a Guitar with gibson classics (their paf nowadays) - i guess they are louder than the tokais?

Curious ;)

Thanks in advance (and excuse my grammar )

Chris

hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

Re: Pickups in LS 80

Post by hans-j?rgen » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:49 am

chris e d wrote:I'm proud owner of a 1984 ls80 sunburst. I always thought there were dimarzio paf pickups used - sounds like paf to me - I never thought of replacing them. Now I read here that Tokai Pus are used in the in the ls 80 les pauls. That won't make me hate them off course ;-)
Hallo Chris, willkommen im Tokai-Forum! :) DiMarzio PAFs or Seymour Duncan '59s were only offered in the LS 120 models around 1984 and one reason for their higher price (= 120,000 Yen). The other reasons were a solid flamed maple top and one piece mahogany body, as far as I know.
My question: What difference can you experts hear between them? Also got a Guitar with gibson classics (their paf nowadays) - i guess they are louder than the tokais?
I'm still comparing several PAFs in my LS 120 at the moment, but I don't have a Gibson '57 classic around here, so I don't know if they are louder. My Tokai PAFs both measure ~8.3 kOhms and do not have an output like others with less impedance, so I guess the magnets might be Alnico II.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg"
INDIGO ROCKS "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel"

chris e d
Plucker

Post by chris e d » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:43 am

Hallo, Hans-J?rgen!

I can compare my SG with Classic 57s to my LS80, and the Gibsons have more output than my Tokai(?)-PUs.

As I said: I'm not critisizing the original PU's - for me they sound like Dimarzio's (in my former Guitars I always had Dimarzio PAF's... )

Would be interesting if someone who has 2 LS with both types could compare them.

And - if you're name is Hans-Juergen - why do I have to stutter in English? :D

Christian from Austria (no cangaroos, sorry)

hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

Post by hans-j?rgen » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:13 am

chris e d wrote:Would be interesting if someone who has 2 LS with both types could compare them.
I have one DiMarzio PAF from ~1979 in my Ibanez Musician, and I will compare it to the others this weekend and write the review I promised in the Announcements board.
And - if you're name is Hans-Juergen - why do I have to stutter in English? :D
Well, we could go on in German, but I don't think everyone would appreciate it here. On the other hand, this is just another boring Love Rock thread, and Silver Stars are the name of the game now, so what... :wink:
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

chris e d
Plucker

Post by chris e d » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:52 am

What the hell are silver stars?

OK, let's go on verunglimpfing s? inglisch l?ngwitsch :P

C U

Chris

Daizo
Sus4add11

LS-80 PU

Post by Daizo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:02 pm

I have two LS-80s. One made in 1981 has the default Gotoh PU and another in 1980 has 57 Classic.

http://rsdaizo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Pick%2 ... 0LS-80.mp3

The above line has two sequential recordings by using bridge pick-ups of both guitars. Out of my personal curiousity, I do not reveal which is which. Which do you guys prefer, the former or the latter ?? You may not like both :)

Some people would say that such a distortion makes it difficult to tell. However, I think it is still possible to tell the difference.

For keeping recording quality, MP3 file uses 256k rather than 128k.
Daizo

hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

Re: LS-80 PU

Post by hans-j?rgen » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:01 am

Daizo wrote:Which do you guys prefer, the former or the latter ?? You may not like both :)
Hmm, if both LS 80 sound similar when played dry, I would say the first take is the Gotoh, and the second the '57 (which I only know from other samples, not from own experience), because it's a bit fatter than the first one.
Some people would say that such a distortion makes it difficult to tell.
Right... :wink:
For keeping recording quality, MP3 file uses 256k rather than 128k.
"64 kbps (mp3PRO) should be enough for everyone..." :wink:
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

Post by hans-j?rgen » Sun May 01, 2005 5:01 am

Err... right or wrong? :-?
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

Daizo
Sus4add11

Post by Daizo » Sun May 01, 2005 6:44 am

I wanted to record less distorted sound, but I haven't been able to do it right. The first take uses 57 Classic and the second Gotoh. I like both of them to be honest. When I am in an aggressive mood, I tend to use Gotoh. Sorry for my poor examples.
Daizo

hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

Post by hans-j?rgen » Sun May 01, 2005 6:54 am

It was nevertheless interesting, thank you for the samples!
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen