Absolutely Mint 1979 SilverStar Sunburst

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glide

Reaction score
Hello,
I hope that everyone on this forum gets an opportunity to read this post.

A few weeks ago I placed a post in the forums concerning my desire to purchase Silver Stars in good shape. I just really like them because Japanese quality is second to none. I was contacted by a gentleman in Tokyo that frequents the Tokai Registry forums like me. His name is Daizo.

After a few emails back and forth, Daizo-san told me that he had been dilligently looking for me and he found a completely MINT 1979 SS in Sunburst. Here is where it gets even better folks. Daizo took it upon himself to purchase the guitar for me because the seller only sold in Japan. He also found and purchased a hardshell case because he wanted it to be in great shape when I received it. And then, he shipped it to me via EMS. What a lesson for me. I have close friends that aren't as thoughtful as Daizo. I think that what I am getting around to saying is that this forum that Ned has set up is incredible, and people like Daizo are the heart and soul that keep this entitiy alive. This site has definately touched me. I just sent Daizo payment via Pay Pal and tonight I plan to sit down with a cold Japanese Kirin beer and play this gorgeous vintage Silver Star while toasting my new friend in Tokyo.

Daizo-san, cheers to you!

Glide

P.S.: No one would believe that this guitar is 26 years old. I am afraid to touch it. The finish is like glass.

ss_mint_1.jpg
[/img]

Great looking Silver Star! I have a sunburst one too and I love it. Of all the guitars I've owned, including USA Fenders, this is my favorite.

Congrats ? great looking guitar, & nice sunburst finish which is uncommon on Silverstars (most are solid colours) 8) . Good to hear Daizo came through for you like that ? he?s been pretty helpful here recently, posting info & pics from Japanese websites/auctions.

Hey Daizo, as your being such a nice guy (truly appreciated, seriously), any chance of you helping with two aspects of Japanese translation?

First thing is the early Catalogues (in Registry)? I often have to look at those, particularly issues from 1978 to 82, but can only judge from the pictures & can?t understand a single word of the writing ... it doesn?t need complete translation, just any useful info you can pick out ? I think it?s an important gap in Forum knowledge.

Second thing is those mysterious code numbers on Tokai Fender copies, ie numbers in form ?3=9? or ?2=11? etc. stamped on butt of neck & in control cavity? I don?t suppose they could be date codes written in traditional Japanese Calendar dating system, ie giving month & year perhaps?

Ian.

I was going to post a pic of my SilverStar but I tried to figure out how to do that and my brain exploded. :cry:

Ours look a lot alike but I have white/white PG and PUPs. I'm hoping to find one with a rosewood board as a spare. :D

Anyone know of any SS's with rosewood board for sale?

> Glide-san,

It has been my great pleasure to help you. I was extraordinarily lucky because the seller wrote "it may be built in 1980's or 1990's" in the auction explanation. Apparently he did not know how to distinguish models, which discouraged other bidders, and he set the Buy-It-Now price quite low perhaps because of such uncertainty. I don't think I can find better-conditioned ones in the future. When I played and checked the guitar upon arrival, I was surprised to see all the screws were shining without rust. Glide-san, I think the guitar is now much happier in your hands. It will talk to you "Play me ... Play me ...".

> Ian-san,

Yes, actualy I have been thinking to translate my own catalogue dated November 1978, which contains four B3 papers describing what are features of Tokai guitars in 1978.

Since I have been looking at only Tokai Les Pauls simply because my palm and fingers prefer them, I need to ask you to give me a bit of time to investigate the mysterious code numbers on Tokai Fender copies. Perhaps, I should go upstream to find out those who were involved in the production. Interviewing those guys would be quite exciting, I guess.

> Jenton-san,

There is a SS currently available in the Japanese Yahoo Auction with White body, Black PG, Black PU, and Rose finger board. It is 3 days to go. Current price is US$40 (to go up more). Perhaps, made in mid - late '80. I can send you photos later.

Daizo ? thanks very much for your reply on translations. Also interesting to hear about how you bought that Silverstar & the seller not recognizing the 7okai decal (& 7 digit serial number is important part) ? Glide was lucky to have your help on that, but he clearly made a good choice trusting you & also had the decency to thank you in public, so well done to both of you! :-?

Yes, if you get a chance, please do try to translate some info from those early catalogues, ? that info is important because 1978 to 80 represents the beginning of Tokai electric guitars & includes the most important Fender & Gibson models (ie Reborn and 7okai models) ? so it?s important for us to know what Tokai originally specified on those models.

Those ?x=y? codes have been a mystery for years, and it?s a mystery we need to solve ? if it does give the date then it will allow proper identification for Goldstars & Breezysounds made after 1984 (at present it?s guesswork to date those). In fact I?ve been trying to unravel the mystery by keeping a note of those numbers wherever I see clear examples, ie hoping to find a pattern matching the number with features of the guitar, but so far I only have 7 examples . Doomo arigato gozaimasu :-? .

Ian.
ps:- on those x=y coders ... so far I haven't seen any digits above 12 (maybe 13), so you get numbers like 3=12, but never anything like 14=26.

Looks great,...lovely sunburst effect/colour ... original "12=11" stamps on neck-butt & pup cavity, 1980 Serial No. on headstock ? I hadn?t really take enough notice of these 7okai Silverstars before ? must be more careful of that in future lol! :-?

Ian.

me offer of a cup of tea and a play is still there ian...
1984 LS100 custom order, LP reborn LS60, 81 and 83 LS80's and the silver star....balhams not too far from you is it.. :)

Daizo,

Thank you for the information. I took a look on Yahoo Auction Japan and saw that guitar, as well as a red and a sunburst. They are very nice, indeed.
I could not read the Japanese but the guitars looked great. Out of curiosity, is 19,800 yen in the neighborhood of 200.00 dollars? If so, I should get to Japan and buy some of these. :D

I encourage other Tokai fans to check some of these guitars out, as well. One of these days I will get a Springy Sound but for now I'm head over heels for my Silver Star!

Jenton-san,

> is 19,800 yen in the neighborhood of 200.00 dollars?

Yes, it is. Japanese Yen/USD has been hovering around Yen105/$1, so dividing by 100 will give you rough USD numbers.

Jenton said: I encourage other Tokai fans to check some of these guitars out, as well.

Naaa.....I disagree with Jenton - There's really no need for anyone to check the Silver Stars out. They really aren't anything that great.

Love Rocks - Yeah, that's the ticket - Everyone go and check out those Love Rocks. If you don't have three you should check them out.

:wink:

Latest posts

Back