Les Paul Reborn Pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatbread

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the registry. I am the proud owner of a 78 cherry sunburst L-60 Les Paul Reborn.

Some nut job replaced one of the pickups with a Duncan 59 humbucker before i bought it.

Is there anywhere on the planet that I can get an original? Also, what was in these early LPRs? MKIIs? or something else?

This info isn't really clear on the early ones on the registry and info pages.

Looking ofrward to talking about our babies some more!

Best,
Wheatbread

Welcome and sweet guitar.

Pups are probably MkII's but the consistant thing about Tokai is their inconsistancy so you can never be quite sure. We would like to have more definitive answers on the site sometimes they just are there yet.

Other that finding who wound the originals for Tokai (Gotoh?) your best bet is probably eBay.

And get some pics of that guitar for us!!!

Ned

Hi Wheatbread, welcome to the Forum :-? .

Take a look at these two copies of early catalogues (the first of uncertain date, may be Reborn or early Love Rock?). You need to decipher it a bit, but seems roughly like this -

LS50 to LS80 - either LS Vintage or LS Dynamic (= ?LS-A9t-70" or ?LS-B9t-70? ?)
LS100 ? Dimarizio PAF
LS150 ? Dimarizio Super Distortion

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/oldies_p3.jpg
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/79tokai_lp04.jpg

As a complete guess ? the ?A9t? may be equal to Gotoh Vint. MK1 (& maybe B9t = Vint MK2).

May be easier to find the Dimarizio?s on eBay, they wouldn?t be original spec for your LS60 (great guitar by the way), but you could regard them as an upgrade & within the correct time frame for original Tokai fittings :-? .

Ian.

Thanks for the nice replies,

That specific pickup info is definitely what I am looking for. I'll get some pics and register the beauty on the site.

I am going to play her on my tour thru europe this spring. I'm kinda hoping that I don't fall in love with her because I was planning to sell her in the states. I got her cheap overseas and buy and sell vintage jap guitars when I am not doing the road thing. This was my first tokai though, so I am truly grateful for the info.

I LOVE all guitars, man. IF I fall in love with her. I'll just sell something else!

Ok, guys. I'll keep you updated and check in with some new pics when I get a chance.

Looking forward to gabbing about the guits with yoo,
Wheatbread Johnson

Hi Wheatbread and all you Tokai geezers out there. I'm new here as amember but I've been hanging 'round this site for sometime. Thanks for all the info you guy's have made available over this time -it's been a great help. I have a '80 Sunburst LS-50 plaintop that is a good guitar - and I've owned a few in 40 odd years. I thought this Tokai mythology was all so much hot air but I think you guy's are on to something.

Wheatbread - are you and your Loverock coming anywhere near south France?

Cheers all,

Mike.

Latest posts

Back