tokai les paul no serial number

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anybody know what year my tokai love rock les paul is? It has no serial number, flamed cherry burst top, red mahogany back and neck. paf copy pickups, rosewood fret board. It looks exactly like a 59 reissue Gibson les paul. Thx

Does the script on the headstock say "Love Rock" or "Les Paul" ?

What colour are the covers to the control cavities in back?

Hi you all!

This is my first post here! I'm glad I found this forum, as I'm about to purchase a Tokai Les Paul cherry sunburst, and I have the same question concerning the lack of serial number of the model I'm after.

I don't know what's the colour of the cover of control cavities or the script on the headstock, cause I didn't see it yet! I'm waiting for some pics from the seller, but... Please, Novosel, can you advance any info?
Are all the Tokais without serial numbers made in Korea? If so, There's too much quality difference between MIJ models? Are they made of mohogamy? And most important, What would be the price approximately of this model?

Well, excuse my English. I'm spanish 8)
Thanx in advance.

Keep on rockin'!!!!

Hi Malandros, welcome to the Forum 8) . Hey, we?re suddenly getting a lot of guys from Spain now, well 2 or 3 of you at least! :)

OK, afaik ??all? MIJ Tokais should have a serial number, but the MIK models did not have serial numbers until about 2000 (I?m guessing approx. date/year). So if doesn?t have an S/N then expect it to be MIK almost for sure. As Novosel says ? MIK Love Rocks have white control covers & 3 screws in truss cover (whereas MIJ have black covers & 2 screws in trc).

Yes MIK can make a big difference, because some models such as LS48 had plywood body! Though I'm not sure if that still applies to current MIK models. In contrast, all Japanese Love Rocks had/have solid Mahogany back & solid maple top, although those with highly flamed tops are usualy veneer glued onto the maple top (except on expensive models like LS200). Some cheaper models may also have photo-flame top, but again I think that applies mainly to MIK models.

Take a look in the Registry at the Catalogues, that will give you an idea of the specification for different MIJ and MIK models. Price depends entirely on model number (for new guitars), eg LS50 is cheaper than LS70, and LS200 is much more expensive.

As far as tone quality & playing feel is concerned, well that?s very subjective & everyone has their own individual view. Some guys here like the MIK guitars, but some don?t. Try a search for ?MIK? and you?ll find lots of discussion about it (seach also for "LS48" - interesting debate here about that guitar). If you search enough here, you?ll find I keep recommending old MIJ models, but that?s just my own preference of course :-? .

Ian.

Hi, Ian.
Thank you soooo much for this complete answer. Now all is clear to me.
I'll take a look at the catalogues as soon as I receive pics from the seller.
It's a pitty because I wanted a MIJ Tokai, but it seems very hard to find them in Spain. Perhaps they (MIJ Tokais) are so goos that owners don't think about selling them. :roll:

Ian, you are TOKAI'S MASTER, man...

Thanks again for your clarification. I'll keep you all informed on this issue.
Peace and of couse... Keep on Rockin'!!!!

Hi Malandros ? thanks for the kind words, but Novosel has been here longer than I have, & I didn?t want to "butt in" on anything he was saying (because he?s right).

If you really want an MIJ Tokai, then why not get one from one of the Japanese sellers on eBay? The Euro is quite strong against the Yen & Dollar right now, so you?d get a good price, and sellers like ?Japanoldguitar? are trustworthy & often advertise very nice vintage MIJ Love Rocks (sometimes at surprisingly low prices, if you keep watching carefully 8) ). Just my personal opinion of course :-? .

Ian.

Yeah, you're right.
I'm not familiar with ebay, but it seems the best way to get a MIJ Tokai.
I'm not even registered, but this has an easy solution 8)
So I'll keep checking those sellers you stated...
You know... I'm never play a Tokai, but lately all the forums and guitar-dedicated website are talking a lot of them. Always good, by the way.
Tokai seem to have a very good quality (MIJ above all) and, mosg important, really cheap for the quality thei offer.
Japanes know how to make good guitars at reasonable price. That's a good alternative to the real thing. Gibson, of course.

My personal appreciation is that gibson is getting so expensive that people now realize that there are alternative, and between all of them, Tokai wins!!!
As I said, Ill keep you posted... :wink:

Latest posts

Back