1982 Springy Sound ST-60(?) CAR

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlvinStraight

Reaction score
Recently picked up this really nice and lightweight Tokai Springy Sound that I was told was a 1982 ST-60 model (but no sticker on it). Serial is L02xxx, so based on a 1964 strat. It has new tuners, replacement tremolo arm, bone nut and raw vintage springs, but according to the seller it is otherwise stock.

Am curious to learn more about it from the knowledgable people in this forum. I've confirmed it has a steel tremolo block, but have not yet taken it apart. Are there some other ways to confirm what this is given that the sticker is missing?

One specific question I have is about the different colour options, as I saw somewhere else that Tokai offered both Metallic Red (MR) as one of their standard options, but also had Candy Apple Red (CR) as a custom finish. I assume this is Metallic Red?

Finally, I am amazed at how close it is in general feel to my 1965 Jaguar, down to the shape of the neck, transition to the headstock (which is much more accurate than the American Vintage reissues that I have played), dark rosewood board and deep belly cut. Is this generally considered to be the best year for Tokai reissues in terms of accuracy? Quality?

ZPeBkel.jpg

FfmNHv5.jpg

dASd3FC.jpg

Suki said:
AlvinStraight said:
mdvineng said:
ST50 1982

Ok thanks! Out of curiosity, how are you able to tell it is an ST50? Is it because you are not seeing a centre-seam?

U pickups. The 60 would have E.

Ok, so is this always the case? My limited reading made me think that some ST-60s came with U pickups, and that this alone cannot be used to determine which model of Tokai it is.

AlvinStraight said:
Suki said:
AlvinStraight said:
Ok thanks! Out of curiosity, how are you able to tell it is an ST50? Is it because you are not seeing a centre-seam?

U pickups. The 60 would have E.

Ok, so is this always the case? My limited reading made me think that some ST-60s came with U pickups, and that this alone cannot be used to determine which model of Tokai it is.

That's true. Although I haven't seen a 60 with Us myself. Nitro test?

[/quote]

That's true. Although I haven't seen a 60 with Us myself. Nitro test?
[/quote]

I've had an ST60 with U pickups in it. Nitro test? Neither the ST50 or ST60 were nitro.

Yeah, I've heard about ST-60's with U's a swell. I actually have a stickered 1982 ST-60MRR with with U-stamp pickups in a what seems like an unmolested original harness. But I'm still uncertain if it's an original installation or not, it has cloth-insulated cables which seems to first turn up in Goldstars in '84. Also, there is no A or B stamp on the pickguard. A lot of these guitars have been modded through years and then restored with original Tokai parts that may or may not be correct for the model and year.

Hi.
So the difference between a ST 50 and a ST 60 Goldstar are just the pickups?
thx

"Hi.
So the difference between a ST 50 and a ST 60 Goldstar are just the pickups?
thx"

That’s not true. The Goldstar maple board TST 50 should have a U neck and the TST 60 should have a V-neck.

At least around the 1984 period.

Last edited:
As for rosewood board ST50 and 60 I am actually not sure what the neck profile was. I had assumed U. Maybe someone else knows.

TST70, 80 & 100 are altogether different.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back