Binding Nibs on Love Rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all. Which models had nibs?

I just got a 1981 LS100 all mahogany that does not have them. Does not look like a re fret.

And I have a 1982 LS120 solid flame top that does have them.

(Edit: Discovered it was re-fretted while still in Japan, sold on eBay in 2018 to and American buyer and disclosed by Japanese seller then.)

Just curious.

Thanks!

I’ll try to load pictures later, but it’s definitely a 1981 all mahogany LS100. The fretboard is in perfect shape (the whole guitar really short of a couple surface dings on the body), and not a fake. It’s solid one piece mahogany with DiMarzio PAFs, Tokai tuners, etc etc. All perfect.

I would guess if someone played it enough to wear down frets and require a re fret there would at least be some wear and weathering, but it looks like a closet queen. And I see no indication of wood loss from removing old frets. Curious.

(Edit: Discovered it was re-fretted while still in Japan, sold on eBay in 2018 to and American buyer and disclosed by Japanese seller then.)

But I’ve had Tokais that break the rules like: a 1979 TE80 with a two piece body, a 1981 ST120 Springy with silver hardware not gold (original), and a 1983 LS80 with a solid flame top, but a two piece body. All documented on this site.

So, the indicators of models we have come up with here don’t seem to always be the same ones used by Tokai as their guitars went out the door... Seems like it was occasionally a bit more arbitrary.

Anyway, thanks. I’ll try to post pictures later. I need to find a host site. I used to use Photobucket, but they changed their site and are trying to get me to pay to access pictures I loaded years ago.

OK. I think I figured out how to post pics. I had used Photobucket when I first joined this site 8 years ago, but since then they have gone to the dark side.

Ned suggested using imgur, so here goes.

qwcYQFp.jpg

lnRlcng.jpg

YZRKBBF.jpg

DtsJWs7.jpg

UT1f2JP.jpg

GtTLmkR.jpg

53dwB4v.jpg

OK. I figured out how to use imgur now that Photbucket has become a disappointment.

Here goes:

2GvkuHZ.jpg

yCIesiG.jpg

NvXwLYe.jpg

dH52RTC.jpg

Owu3xYx.jpg

s4Dmx1n.jpg

gQS5Gxn.jpg

I just played it again, and I think I need to measure these frets. I am now wondering if a previous owner just wanted fatter frets for tone? They seem beefy. I'll need to get back to you once I do.

And villager, I appreciate the help.

Yep. I noted that in the other thread (NGD) and even found an eBay listing from 2018 where it was listed in Japan and stated as re-fretted then.

f7Z3QiN.jpg

m3vtG7J.jpg

That guitar is so resonant and has such incredible sustain and these seem to be so scarce. I’m blown away.

But yes, it was re-fretted.

Thanks again.

Back