ST55 Metalic Red with matching headstock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrumJunkie

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, just saying hi and wanted to ask the group a few questions about my recent find. I just picked up a Springy Sound which was only a few miles from me on CL. I have set it up and verified it is all original. My question is about the pickguards used on the ST55 in 1981. Mine has the maple neck with matching headstock color. It has an 11 hole 3 ply guard. Did the maple board guitars usually have the 8 hole, and because of the custom color or finish on the 55 include the 11 hole guard as part of the package even though the neck is maple. Thanks everyone. The body is all original stamped MR color code and has never been redrilled. I'll add a few pics when I figure out how to get them from my gallery. Any other info about this model guitar would be appreciated.

All of my maple Springy and Goldstars have 8 hole single ply pickguards.

There are lots of anomalies out there. Since I've seen a number of examples of maple neck variants with L series neck plates and 3 ply pickguards, my theory was that some clever dick at a dealer was maybe swapping parts around to cater for customer wants - regardless of whether the outcome was vintage correct.

In your case, with the painted headstock, it seems unlikely that this was done. I would be interested to see if the neck and body number codes match.

My 1981 ST55 MG maple neck has an eleven hole 3 ply pickguard.....I have seen others too.
tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24999&p=188739#p188739

Lots of folks would like to believe everything is just binary, black & white, but as many here know MIJ isn't always like that.
There can be variables for some models, particularly from the typically known examples that were produced in higher numbers.
It would be great to see some photos from the OP to document this example. :)

As far as Springys go, I actually prefer the later Goldstar examples as they typically have the steel tremolo block, where as the Springys typically have the zinc pot metal tremolo block, with the exception of some of the later Springy examples.
I recently purchased an all original ST-55 Goldstar MR (lefty) in mint condition, L24*** serial so, likely 1984/1985 production.
Once I have the guitar it will be restrung right hand for the 'Jimi' thing. 8)

Hey Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help with this. The only thing I did not do was pull the neck, but all else checks out great. The guitar is just about mint condition with a few minor dings no finish damage, just finish sinking showing the wood grain if held just right. here are some specs.
7 digit serial number on neck plate starting with 102 (1981?), Tokai saddles, MIJ trem block, tokai vintage tuners, 250k pots and grey back U alnico PU's
cavity stamp MR Metalic Red. Oval black 55 sticker near heel on back of neck, round string tree, ashtray. Can I load pictures for you all from my computer or do I have to use a photo hosting site? BTW Great looking strats Hunter!

[/https://photos.app.goo.gl/VzyqiZPhSZYoZYLr9]
[img][/https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZodQWRXy9BmChuCM8]

guitar hiro said:
As far as Springys go, I actually prefer the later Goldstar examples as they typically have the steel tremolo block, where as the Springys typically have the zinc pot metal tremolo block, with the exception of some of the later Springy examples

The steel-block Final Prospec bridge came in in 1982, so there is one year (and a bit) of Springy production with that bridge.
As trem use is fairly integral to my Strat playing, that's the ST vintage I prefer. The pot metal ones wear with age, the screw holes become slightly oval with use, making the action stiff and twitchy. Since basically all MIJ Strat copies have that type of bridge up until 1980, I've come to prefer later guitars in general. And though I love the 7okai logo as much as the other guy, a lot of Goldstars are actually better instruments than especially early Springys. I'm still kicking myseld for selling a late 1985 TST with VI pickups that was just sublime. In many ways, they kept improving their product imo.

received my ST-55 today :) and it has the gray bottom, VI stamped pickups.

I'm not familiar with these compared to the U stamped & the E stamped examples; what should I expect different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e05iItC1S4

This is my very basic, crappy comparison on a very hot day in my conservatory.
Olympic White ST50 has U pickups, the Blue ST 50 has VI.

Back