Silver Star dating/model help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vashypoo

Reaction score
hey there, i am interested in grabbing a Silver Star and one popped up at a shop in my city. the registry site is down so i am not sure how to date it. the serial number appears to be 1103134 which leads me to believe it's from 1981? the listing says "70s" but i think they probably mean that it is a replica of the 70s CBS Fenders. i am also curious how i would identify which model number it is, whether it's the lower tier or SS-60 or higher. any help would be great, link below.

also correct me if i am wrong but they only produced the Silver Stars til about 1983, right? so any silver star would presumably be vintage (if it's real)?

https://paulsboutique.ca/product/70s-tokai-silver-star/

cheers

HI, I see you live in Toronto as well. I see that somebody scratched off the Tokai logo. Unfortunately that's what some people used to do back in the early days when they discovered Tokais. I'm afraid I can't give you any info about the guitar but there are lots of knowledgeable people here who can. Welcome to the forum. :)

hey fellow torontonian, thanks for the welcome! yeah i don't mind too much that it is scratched off. from the looks of it, is that the old "spaghetti" logo or is this more of the 7okai one? newbie here, hah.

i went into the shop today and the owner looked for the model number on the neck, said all it said was "DSS" with no number beyond that. there's also a sunburst Silver Star there that he is gonna set up so i am gonna look at both come monday. i will try to get the numbers for that one too. really loved playing it - neck felt great! they had a vintage 70s Fender Strat but aside from the higher quality pickups in the OG strat, i liked the Tokai way more. that neck is terrific.

for reference, i play mustangs with higher output pups and go for kind of a lower-fi punky Sonic Youth vibe, but want something slightly more hi fi in terms of tonal range, hence my quest for a strat. i am likely gonna change the pups in it regardless, but was wondering what other mods people would recommend for an SS.

again, any help would be great! thanks all. have a great weekend.

Latest posts

Back