1985 Tokai TLC 65

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreypdx

Reaction score
Hi folks - I'm looking for a little advice. I've been GASing lately for a new LP - and there are plenty of old Japanese LP's for sale on Reverb. I have looked at late 70's to early 80's Grecos, early 80's Burny's, and now I've seen a 1985 Tokai TLC 65. I just am overwhelmed and want to not screw up this purchase - - any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have my eye on a 1979 Greco EG900 or the above mentioned Tokai - both coming from Japan. Anyone around to help guide a newbie?

On a second note - I have a set of Norlin era mini humbuckers laying around - I'd love to transform whatever I buy into a Les Paul Deluxe. Is that possible with a Japanese copy?

Thanks

A lot depends on what you'd be happy with.

I'm pretty sure a '85 LC would have a rosewood board. Do you need care if it's nitro or poly ?? Do you want a maple cap or Hog ?? It would also come with humbuckers. Mini-Hums i've never had but i'm pretty sure they fit a P90 cavity.

'85 was a traditional year for Tokai so sometimes the specs for the models are all over the place.

I'd narrow down what you feel you would most desire from a MIJ Custom and then go from there.

dreypdx said:
On a second note - I have a set of Norlin era mini humbuckers laying around - I'd love to transform whatever I buy into a Les Paul Deluxe. Is that possible with a Japanese copy?

Great Idea, I've always got along well with the deluxe minis.
The mounting is a little different with a bar screwed in at the bottom of the pickup cavity. Routing size should be like a p90, but you might be able to attach mini's to a full size humbucker route and hide it with "goof rings" that gibson used for a while.
I don't think it looks as good though.

Latest posts

Back