Page 1 of 1

ST60 Goldstar Sound - identification

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:43 am
by davemoss
Hi,

New to the forum. I've just purchased a 1980's ST60 from eBay. I'm not sure if it is a 50 or a 60? Or what year it was made? Can you help me! PUPs are VI, L serial number, pretty sure it is legit. :-?

Heres the links from ebay. Be great to have your thoughts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Goldst ... 2749.l2649
[/url]

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:26 pm
by mdvineng
Looking like a tst60 and from around 84 and a copy of the 60 <64 strat.
Nice price too, enjoy.

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:34 pm
by davemoss
Cheers dude . Sounds like the seller was spot on. Receiving it tomorrow - can’t wait!

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:59 pm
by jonah65
Hmmm, shouldn't it have 'E' pups and a vee neck?

Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:41 pm
by davemoss
So what do you think it is?

Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 am
by villager
only the 80 had the V neck and its a goldstar not a springy so i think the pups are right

Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:14 am
by felixcatus
davemoss wrote:Hi,

New to the forum. I've just purchased a 1980's ST60 from eBay. I'm not sure if it is a 50 or a 60? Or what year it was made? Can you help me! PUPs are VI, L serial number, pretty sure it is legit. :-?

Heres the links from ebay. Be great to have your thoughts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Goldst ... 2749.l2649
[/url]
Could be either, early Goldstar pickups; ST50/55 'VI' or 'U' &#8594; ST60 also, plus 'E'?

Rolled brass ground plate, surely no later than 1984/85?

...and congrats on your 'new old' Tokai 8)

Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 pm
by jonah65
villager wrote:only the 80 had the V neck and its a goldstar not a springy so i think the pups are right
My '60' had more of a vee in the neck shape, definitely not a 'c' shaped'
Think it should have 'E' pups as well to be a Goldstar 60
I would say it was a 50.

Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 pm
by Peter Mac
Hi guys,

I'm going for TST-50 due to Black finish. There should be a code inside the control rout.
The 'VII' were only used on TST-50. TST-60 had 'V' pickups, TST-80 had DiMarzio. Mostly the ink was wet and the VII stamps end up looking like VI.
Only early Goldstars have U or E pups.

TST-55 were either left-hand, natural or custom colour - and black is not a custom colour, hence TST-50.
To the best of my knowledge, no rosewood board had a 'V' neck except for 1980 ST-80. All others are 1964 'C' shape.

regards
Peter

Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:36 am
by jonah65
Thanks Peter, mine had a maple neck/board, and although not a pronounced vee, it did have a slight vee to the profile.

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:26 am
by davemoss
Cheers for the info guys . It has a two piece body too. Seller assured me it is a st 60 on this basis . Is he right?

He also says it is made of sen ash . It’s v heavy is that an indication it is made of ash ?

Thanks

Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:47 pm
by felixcatus
davemoss wrote:Cheers for the info guys . It has a two piece body too. Seller assured me it is a st 60 on this basis . Is he right?



Thanks
Yes, should be ST60.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:37 pm
by Suki
Looks like an ST-50 to me.

ST-60s had V pickups, not VI or VII. My understanding is that VI and VII replaced the U pickups.

You would be right in thinking this is no later than about '85 due to the brass control plate.

An ST-60 would also have a 2 piece centre-seam body. Not possible to see from the photos.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:35 am
by felixcatus
Suki wrote:Looks like an ST-50 to me.

ST-60s had V pickups, not VI or VII. My understanding is that VI and VII replaced the U pickups.

You would be right in thinking this is no later than about '85 due to the brass control plate.

An ST-60 would also have a 2 piece centre-seam body
. Not possible to see from the photos.
davemoss wrote: It has a two piece body too. Seller assured me it is a st 60 on this basis . Is he right?
felixcatus wrote:
Could be either, early Goldstar pickups; ST50/55 'VI' or 'U' &#8594; ST60 also, plus 'E'?

Rolled brass ground plate, surely no later than 1984/85?

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 am
by davemoss
Well def got a 2 piece body and V1 picksups so I guess its a ST50.555555
:D

Any advice on pickups: I did a gig a few nights ago with the original pickups, sounded pretty good. But i've been told (and can't help thinking) it might sound EVEN better with more expensive pickups. Any recommendations on decent low output vintage pickups? Will they really sound that much better? I could stick to the original VI's, no one in the audience would notice! :o