Transitional Springy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telehack

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Springy Sound on loan which seems to have a mixture of pre-1980 features and post-1980. It has a small neckplate, and no serial number. The model number is not indicated on the last fret. The pickups are "U" type. The body is one piece, thin poly sunken into the grain. It's an absolute belter. Please don't hold me responsible for the scratchplate screws - I've got to fix that. Any information appreciated. Is there such a thing as a "transitional" Tokai? Here is a link to an album with the pictures.

-Tom

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/telehack99/embed/slideshow/Tokai Springy

008_zpsv4go1x2x.jpg

Poly and a one piece, are you sure?

Poly, 'U' pups, 'B' marked scratch plate, small neck plate, printed serial# on neck and pocket. My best guess is 1978 ST50/60 (not one piece body though).

I thought it was nitro since it had really sunk into the grain (especially on the "tummy cut"), but someone else who handled it thought poly. Does poly sink into the grain like nitro? It's definitely a one piece body though - that change in grain near the jack socket is just that, not a seam. Wouldn't a '78 have "E" pickups? I was thinking it might be an early '80...

-Tom

telehack said:
Wouldn't a '78 have "E" pickups? I was thinking it might be an early '80...

-Tom

Serial # says 1978. 'E' pups on higher end models, ST80/100 (and allegedly on some ST60 models?).

PS anything written or printed in the neck pickup cavity?

Nitro on a ST80 and above, poly on everything else. Lovely guitars either way though, an ST50 is a great Strat! (although not as great as my Bacchus) ;)

@felixcatus - sorry I didn't think to take a pic of the neck pocket - next string change.

@JohnA - that Bacchus is indeed loverly...

So, all points to '78 ST-50 except one piece body. Perhaps they just pulled whatever was handy out of the bin?

My co-worker brought in his fiesta red early 80s Tokai, and one thing we noticed is that the cut at the top (where your arm rests) on the one I have is quite deep. It goes beyond the strap button. His was much shallower...

-Tom

OK, I got curious and pulled the pickguard off last night. Sure enough ST-50:

I also took a pic. to show what I meant about the paint sinking into the grain. If only all makers could do poly like this...

_Tom

Hi guys,
This is a very nice guitar but I would throw in the body is 2 piece, with a centre join right through the grain, making it virtually indistinguishable.
Everything else is correct though - early 1978 ST-50GS.
Up to ser# 8002000, all ST models had the serial# under the neck and a Type A neck plate. After ser# 8002800 they have a Type B neckplate with a stamped serial number on the plate.
At this time also the entry level model was the ST-42 - 3 pce body, 'B' electrics, etc. so this ST-50 was more like the later years ST-60 in terms of build quality, etc.

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back