1982 Tokai LS-100S ON Re-wire

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVsearch

Reaction score
Ok after playing it for a while, I think I'm going to do it and lose the PCB.

Definitely got a slightly dodgy ground on the neck pickup, which is no surprise as the pots have been changed out at some point and it wasn't done very well (looks like an underpowered soldering iron was used).

I want to put the same size pots back in and use my original knobs, so is my only option Alphas?

Did a bit of a search about re-wiring and that was the only brand mentioned that would fit without reaming. There's also the question of the right number of splines for the original knobs. Anyone else put Alpha pots in?

Or please post any experience you may have with re-wiring and PCB removal in an LS.

JVsearch said:
I want to put the same size pots back in and use my original knobs, so is my only option Alphas?

Tokai uses Alps (MIJ) pots on some of their newer export and custom shop LS models.

It is very simple, just take Nobels original pots out of the board is still have it and put them rewiring thw guitar. I have used Centralab (DiMarzio branded) used in old Hamer guiatrs with great results for volume controls and CTS EP086 Tokai use in high end LS. Also you can use the MIJ G (Goldo) pots, those fit correct.....

Hope it helps!

Hi guys,
In terms of MIJ pots, Gotoh also make a better pot (IMO) than the Alpha. The have 'GT' stamped on the back of the pot.
Now there are 2 ways to wire a Les Paul, both work well but produce different results.
1) Most common - Modern Les Paul - Cap is wired from Tone Middle lug to Volume 1st lug (pickup) - Ground : Tone 3rd lug and Vol 3rd lug
2) Vintage 50's - Cap is wired from Tone 3rd lug to Volume middle lug.(PU selector) - Ground : Vol 3rd lug and Tone middle lug
When you wind down the volume with the 50's setup, the tone stays fully open until you use the Tone pot.

Hope this helps

Peter

Latest posts

Back