Question time. Tail Stud length, Tokai LS-50 1979???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricJam

Reaction score
So, just as the title asks - what is the exact measurement of a tail stud piece on early Toaki LS model guitars. The reason for my asking is this; I have in my possession one 1979 LS-50GT guitar, that I am currently umming and ahhing about converting the bridge and tail-piece to genuine late 1950's Gibson components - which I also have in my possession. I know that some of you Tokai purists will naturally disapprove of my plan, but the way I see it is like this; the LS model is technically a replica of a original Gibson Les Paul, and all I'm doing by modifying it is helping the guitar realise its dream of being 100% authentic. The real question is; will I be able to swap the existing Tokai tail studs for the Gibson 1.5" long studs without any worries? Or, has any had any experience doing the same to their Tokai??

The main problem is not the stud length, but the stud diameter and thread which are different: Tokai uses metric and Gibson imperial
No way unless you change the inserts too and adjust their hole in the body

I am well aware of this fact. I was hoping that all I'd have to do was pull out the old ones and ream out the bore to suit the original Gibson stud anchors. I am hesitant to have to drill any further down into the body, because god knows what's immediately below the studs. I wouldn't want to drill into anything important. Logically there shouldn't be anything but who knows... doesn't the control harness ground out on the anchor studs?

As for the bridge pole screws; I guess that I'd just have to drill those out, bang in some hardwood dowels, and fit the Gibson pole screws. But I honestly can't figure out how exactly to go about extracting the old ones. Any suggestions?

The reason for my wanting to swap them out for the real deal components is that currently there is a mixture of nickel and chrome going on, and the two really seem to clash - from a visual standpoint.

ElectricJam said:
As for the bridge pole screws; I guess that I'd just have to drill those out, bang in some hardwood dowels, and fit the Gibson pole screws. But I honestly can't figure out how exactly to go about extracting the old ones. Any suggestions?

Do you mean by "bridge pole screws" the bridge posts?

Here's a way: thread 2 nuts that fit (size and thread) onto the top of a bridge post, lock the nuts up against each other, carefully wrench (counterclockwise, bottom nut/closest to the body) the post out.

:oops: Why, yes. Yes I do.

After careful consideration, and much procrastination, I have finally decided to go ahead with my maniacal plan. So, does anybody know the exact measurements of the thread for the stock Tokai "bridge post" screws?

Yes M4.
You have to make a bushings change as I did on two Tokais and with great results.
ANother option would be letting the exinsting metric bishings and getting some steel ones from Philadelphia Luthiers (they are shorter however)

Tail stud bushings have now been removed. I'll see if I can scrounge up some nuts for the pole screw extraction process; tomorrow.

All did not go to plan, but the late 1959 bridge has been semi-successfully installed. I know this is a Tokai forum; but can anyone tell me the correct diameter for the tail-stud bushing pilot hole on a 1957-9 Gibson?

Well it's finally done, and I'm amazed just how much of an improvement it has actually made! That's not to say that everything went exactly to plan. One of the bridge pole pieces is a bit skewed, making for a very tight fit - but fit it does. Same goes for the tail piece. It all comes together like it was meant to be. Setting up the guitar was as simple as having to adjusting the string height and stop tail gradient. For the intonation I only had to turn one screw by a quarter turn. It was baffling! The sound - well it's better than any real Les Paul I've ever come across. Can't recommend the conversion enough!

Back