Tokai Goldstar Sound question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this guitar in the attic of my father, it must be at least 30 years old. It comes with a tweed case. What is it worth, and which model is it? Here is a link to dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/l9h8qz8ppoaeghs/AAB4mbVoCem1VzvLmAew4Hioa

To me, this looks like an ST40 due to the tuners.

The pickups have confused me - they have no stamp! The only ones I've seen like this are from Silverstars. However, it's also possible the pickups are not Tokai, but another grey-bottomed make. The standard pickups on ST40s would be ceramic, and many people had swapped them out for better ones.

The higher end ST50s can be had for as little as £300-£350, up to about £400, possibly more depending on type and condition. ST40s are less desirable and I would normally expect to pay around £250 but you might get up to £300.

Don't get over excited about how much people are selling them for on eBay - these are asking prices and many seem to be re-listed in perpetuity.

Thanks for answer. Since it is the cheapest Tokai Goldstar Sound, is it still an ok guitar? I am not an expert at all, but the guitar feels and sounds ok, or is it a "crappy" guitar?

If you're asking if any Tokai is a "Crappy Guitar", I think you're on the wrong forum :)

Seriously, apart from the standard pickups, the ST40's are every bit as good to play as the higher models. It seems that you don't have standard ST40 pickuos so this is very very far from a crappy guitar.

A good fret dress and setuo is sometimes needed to get the best out of these.

i would say that they are replacement pickups, and tuners.
looks a great guitar to me, and a nice case.

Do the pickups have staggered pole pieces? If so, they're at least externally identical to the set in my ca 1978 Tokai-made Fernandes FST-60: grey bobbins, no stamp, blue and black leads with plastic insulation. I've also noted the similarity to Silver Star pickups, but I believe those have flat pole pieces? I thought I had a photo of them, but I can't seem to find it...

They're around 6.1 k or so and actually a bit average-sounding to my ear.

Hi, I can't view the photos at work but if it is an original tokai tweed case then i would personally pay another £50.

Latest posts

Back