Tokai Silver Star SS48 real?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therko

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to know if this is authentic 80' SS48, and if You can, please give me some info about this model as I can't find any ;) and what that guitar is approximately worth?

Seller put Wilkinson bridge in guitar, potentiometers CTS/Alpha, socket and switch by Switchcraft. Rest is stock.
He is saying that body is 3-pieces ash, neck is maple, pickups are stock Grey Bobbin by DiMarzio. Is he right?

RKrqKcm.jpg

aSEgU6x.jpg

XFfOZiT.jpg

M9sqThw.jpg

jiuV5Ed.jpg

Thanks for help ;)

Hi therko, welcome to the forum !

It would be nice to see pics of body route + neck stampings to be 100% certain,
but the serial number is correct for a 1981 Silver Star, as is a 3 screw neck plate for SS-48 models.

YS 3 tone was a finish offered by Tokai on 3 piece SS-48's.

Sorry, no idea what fair market value would be.

Looks good,

look at the back of the headstock, SS-48s have Schaller-style tuners.
The pickups will probably be original Tokai Greybacks but they are NOT Dimarzios.
Dimarzios only came with high-end SS-80s and had black bobbins.

Hi,

I'd agree with the others that you would want to see the neck pocket, it shoud have a round metal disk in the neck [bottom heel] and in the neck body route, which will have 2 grooves in the body to allow the 2 protruding fingers to be guided when adjusting the neck heel.

You should also find a stamp saying something like 7 = 16 on the neck and possibly 7 = 16 [then some letters designating colour] in a body route. The numbers are 7 = July, 16 = 16th day. Some times you will find descrepencies between days, in mid month I wouldn't expect it to be too vast a difference unless the neck was swapped out [these are vintage after all]

Lastly - those grey backs in the 1980's Silver Stars are as good as any other good strat pick ups out there. I have an 1982 Silver Star and is is 100% a pro soundign and playing strat. [Its my strat killer]

If you like 1970's CBS stratocasters but cant find one or afford one then these will fit the bill. Shame about the changes on the guitar, and I would say if the tuners sound a bit used just spray a little RP7 [motor grade lubricant] into them and moisten those gears a little :)

Enjoy

ps: make sure you see those details in the body/neck - there are some people out there selling non-original guitars, and often they just dont know what they have - not everyone opens up guitars - I know I never used to bother....

Latest posts

Back