First Tokai Silver Star 1981? Please confirm.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SP2333

Reaction score
Hi there from Australia.

Yesterday I picked up my first Tokai Strat guitar (I have other Fender USA). I scored this guitar for $350 USD. I think I've done quite well.

I believe this guitar may be an 1981 but I'm not sure. Can Somone please clarify? Serial number is 1100869

When I got it home I did my usual investigations and strip down for cleaning and adjustment. After a restring for the life of me it would not intonate. I was going mad for over 30mins twiddling my screwdriver. Then I realised it was the pickups. They are as strong as hell. I wound them down and it set up perfectly.

I opened up the pickguard to reveal Bare Knuckle pickups. I believe these are good? They have massive output. I'm used to the colder Seymour Duncan's in my YJM stratocaster. It also appeared to have som swanky looking vintage capacitors and all cloth wiring.

The tuners have been changed to Schaller tuners and the bridge changed to an American vintage.

Can anyone confirm specs and details?

Did a pickup measurement: The mystery Bare knuckle pickups appear to be a set of "Mothers Milk"

Measurements were:
Bridge 6.5
Middle 5.8
Neck 5.8

Close enough to be this set linked below + or - a few DC resistance. Closest listed on their site. The off white covers reenforce this also..
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats&sub=vintage&pickup=mothers_milk

HNGD !

The serial # is a 1981 Nagano plant number.
Sorry, can't be of much help on a model number, but possibly an SS-40 ?
Spec differences depend in large part on the original bridge and pickups.

These SIver Stars are really winners. Musician guitars at a greta price, perfect for gigging.
Congrats for this purchase!

Hi Plucker,

What part of God's Country do you live in?

To answer another part of your enquiry, the SS series SilverStar was first released in 1978. It made the 1978 Catalog printed in June 1978 - Tokais' first Catalog, Volume 1.
Serial numbers started at 800xxxx.
The body and neck were from the same lumber stock as the Springy so those early 4 years are really a great find.

Congrats on the new arrival.

Peter Mac

Latest posts

Back