Tokai ID please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didg

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new on here and I've just bought my first Tokai. I shall attempt to get some photo up so you experts can have a look.

IMG_0001_zps76c21aea.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0002_zps9090ddd4.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0004_zps233cb4ca.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0005_zpsd0279c49.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0006_zps8e5927e1.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0007_zps75206585.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_0008_zps2ee1960c.jpg
[/URL]

In the last photo you can see that the tone knob is not standard.

If it is an '85 model then I shouldn't have posted in the Vintage (Older than 1985) section. Mods please move, thanks.

Hi guys,

This is a TTE-60TM N from '85-86.
Essentially it has an alder body with quilt mahogany top, 1958 'U' neck and TE-50 electrics.
The finish was dubbed "Tortoise-shell Mahogany" (TM) and was made for around 4 years '85 - '89 so with such a low ser#, I would place it around 1985.
If you take off the control plate, there should be a code stamped on the body inside the cavity that should correspond to one stamped on the base of the neck.
It was also made with a rosewood fingerboard and an Lxxxxx ser#.

Peter Mac

Thanks Peter Mac, that's just the info I was after. :)

When I made my first post I had just given it a good clean. The frets could do with a level and dress but I decided to leave that for now. So on went some new strings and a quick set up. The truss rod was completely loose and the nut had backed out all the way until it had hit the body. With the strings off the neck it was pretty much straight, so I snugged up the nut and put half a turn in and it plays great.

The pickups sound lovely. A bit of switch cleaner on the 3 way and the rest of the electrics are nice too. Shame about the non standard tone knob, any suggestions?

Also, any idea what the 'N' stands for?

I have one exactly like it. The looks floored me, it plays great, but I didn't like the sound of the TEB pickups much, very brittle and icepicky, with 1 meg pots.

So now, it's actually the only all-original MIJ guitar that I've modded (non destructively, of course). I changed the control plate complete with electronics and put a set of Fender Twisted Tele pickups in it. Very dark and growly neck and an outrageous 10,5 k bridge pup with some serious attitude but still a lot of Tele character. I also changed the pickguard for a 3-ply parchment one for a more tradional Tele Custom look. I had to have it custom made to avoid drilling new holes, since the Tokai guard's proportions are quite different from the standard part.

Latest posts

Back