81' Tokai TE 60?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoring_fan107

Reaction score
Just got my first TE Tokai from 1981, thought it was a TE 60 until i got it. Appears to have a one piece ash body which to me doesn't sound like anything a 60 would have. Any help would be much appreciated. :D

Fine grained ash can be hard to see a seam sometimes but easy to see any join around the outside so some back end shots would be better.
sure looks 1 in those pics.

It sure would be nice to see pics of sides and especially the bottom center as J suggested, to settle this.
Top and back similarities hint at a possible single piece, but it makes little sense that Tokai would use
1 piece bodies on a TE-60 model and sometimes 2 pieces on TE-80's however. :-?

Stranger things have happened I suppose.
I couldn't find this model in 1981-82 catalogs.

Its definitely one piece as the grain matches without seams all the way round, maybe the guitar isnt a 60? Im yet to take a look under the pickguard which ill do soon.

Good surprises are always the best.
Congrats on the 1 piece body and a lovely looking Tele overall !

Overall condition looks pretty amazing, and everything looks original so far.

TEB pickups would mean a lower than TE-80 designation (which have TEA pickups)
The lack of an A at the end of the X=XX neck code
and a 6 barrel silver (instead of brass) bridge would also point to a lower than TE-80 designation.
TE-80's also had V necks for the most part, but maybe since this represents
a post '59 Tele model, it might not ?

Thanks for the pics + any interior shots to follow.

Thanks! Unfortunately my Photobucket is playing up but i had a look. It has TEB pickups a stamp that says 1=1 or 11=1 cant tell for sure but no neck markings whatsoever or evidence of model number sticker at the base of the neck.

I did find one 1981 example with a sticker out of 4 or 5 rosewood color finishes, and while I couldn't make out the number in the pic,
the seller did report it as being a TE-60, so Tokai was very generous with body specs on these, if in fact all had one piece bodies.

Your TEB pickups and 11=1 neck stamp (instead of 11=1 A) support that TE-60 model # designation and the neck is obviously original.

Would've been a great value Tele at the time with the specs it had. I cant fault this guitar it is just amazing to play.

Hi Joel,

This is an obvious TE-60 RR with a 1981 serial number.
It is the only Breezy ever offered in this finish - as the TE-200 had a natural finish - not a stain.
Body used is Sen but I would think 2 pce rather than 1 pce, even if the seam appears invisible. TEB pups and a 6-way bridge also add to the TE-60 model. Placement of logo after the string tree implies a rosewood neck ( not that the TE-60 RR was ever offered with a maple one).
It is a 1968 replica due to that being the 2nd year Fender released an all-rosewood Telecaster. Famous owners include George Harrison and James Burton.
In terms of catalogs, it was first seen in the 1983 Vol 7 Catalog. The body is listed as Sen in katakana. Interestingly, every other model TE50, 70 and 80 are listed with an Alder body.

Peter

Latest posts

Back