Best vintage Japan SG ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk

Reaction score
Hello there. I?m looking to buy myself a new high-end SG, but instead of using like 1500-2000 euros on a new/used Gibson, I was wondering if there were any lawsuit models you would recommend, that would compare to a Gibson VOS ? There is a lot of info on the vintage Japan LP copys, but not so much on the SG?. I have tested one Burny SG model from around 87-90, and liked it alot, but it had a very "sensible" neck, meaning that it if I leaned just a little forward or back, it went out of tune. This is common with SG, but this one was really bad.

hi
i have a few sg .... from burny greco and orville
the orville is a 1997 model from fujigen and it has a big neck
i like it a lot good pickups too
and i have burny from 1982 to 1990s
all the late burny have big necks ,,, and i mean big
the early ones are much slimmer ,,,
:D
so are you sure it was a 1987-90 model ??

here are some of the sg i have

all the best
otto

Hello, thats a nice picture :) Beuatyful instruments.
Well the guitar I tried was from a shop in London a while ago, and it had a bug neck, and they said it was from 87-90.
Is Burny the brand to look for if you want the best vintage Japan SG ? I prefer chunky necks, so would you say I should look for a late 80?one ?
Thanks for the info.

hi
i really like the orville made by orville ... from 1997 ...
has good pickups and a good feeling
but the late burny have really big necks ,,, i think too big
i like the early ones with thin necks

so if you need one ... maybe i can help you
:D
all the best
otto

Hi guys,

Ther a 4 x SG models from Gibson and Tokai did 2 of them,
TST-50 ( Type 4) and TSG-60 (Type 1) These were made from 1982 onwards.

The 4 models look like this . .

From Left to Right
Type 1 : 1961 - 65
Type 2 : 1966 - 70
Type 3 : 1971 only
Type 4 : 1972 - 90

Peter Mac

hi
i got a greco ss 600 made by tokai ( a model made for a lady in a japanese band very slim neck and dots on the neck but with humbuckers)
and a ss63 -60 made by tokai
i think they are from 1987-1989 :D
so you can find a tokai made greco too

i have a lp standard- lp custom- lp jr dc - and sg
all greco labeled but made by tokai
all the best
otto

Had a Burny SG with some of the best sounding VH-1 pickups I've heard.
Then I bought a Gibson 61 Reissue - dressed it up with Faber alum tailpiece and locking studs, Faber ABR bridge with brass saddles and I must say, it's a great guitar. No issues at all (not ever experienced an SG not staying in tune if you lean forward or back). Neck profile on it is great - wide and flat.

i've got a 1984 tsg 50 (mk4) for sale. ?400 + p+p.
great original condition, no case though.
uk.

ps, no bigsby/trem arm fitted on this one.

I have a 1985 Tokai SG-60, big neck with FEB, and absolutely no problem with the neck, stock pickups, wonderful SG tone

1980's Grecos, 1990 Orvilles and MIJ Epiphones are good bets. I have no experience with Burny SGs but I love muccax's shot, and everyone needs at least one cherry red SG.

Sonix SG-11.jpg

Ok thanks guys. Great pictures. I will keep on investigating the market, and maybe contact you for the ones you have offered.

Hi Muccax,

11 SG Standards and 2 SG Juniors.
That is an amazing pic. Congratulations but not a Tokai amongst them?
You should get a type 1 Custom (3 pu, gold hardware) to really round out the collection :lol:

Peter Mac

look again i have 2 tokai .....
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
but they say greco on the head
a special and a standard
i got lp custom -lp- lp jr dc- sg speciel -sg standard
all made by tokai
but with greco logo on the head

all the best
otto

Huge neck, near mint. 57 Classics, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch/jack. Killer guitar. $799 shipped ConUS

http://photobucket.com/albums/e41/skydog653/2003 Tokai SG 61RI
IMG_0963.jpg

Hi guys!

Wow, you?ve all got some very nice Sgs!

I?ve been using an ?05 Gibson SG Standard as my main guitar for some time and I?ve been very happy with it.
Only last week I stumbled upon an ?83 Tokai SG50 on the bay and it just came in today.
It?s my first venture in to "Tokai-land", and I?m impressed to say the least! Very nice neck, great feel, very nice sound.
I got it for around $500 and it?s in excellent shape - you think I did good?

I?d like to know if there?s an easy way to replace the "ugly" bridge with something more "classic" looking... it looks like the bridge posts are larger than your standard Nashville or ABR-posts...
Not a big deal, just curious...
Also, were the stock pickups AlNiCo or ceramic?

Thanks a lot in advance!

cheers - 68.

Back