Tokai Strat routing

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suki

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows how to authenticate a Tokai strat body by the routing? I have noticed that most of them seem to have counterbored cavities for the pickup screws in the pickup cavities, on the other hand, many don't.

Is there any convention or dates when this was done or wasn't, or by model type?

Hi Suki,

Up until 1986 all ST Springy and Goldstar models had the extra deep screw holes in the pickup cavity.
The SS SilverStar model however did not have the deeper route.*

*1982-84 SS-60 used an ST body.
In terms of authenticating a Tokai strat body, the build/colour stamp is a main factor, also there was no 'notch' between the neck pocket and pickup cavity.

regards
Peter Mac

Thanks Peter. This sort of information is really useful.

This might help me with identification/dating, since I thought what I had was an '84 in the case of a met blue ST50. It is without the deeper routing, it has matching correct stamps, and the logo script is of the '84 era. It also as correct pickups and the brass control plate (absent from '86 on, I think).

I thought from '86 they had the different logo script. So, does this mean it could be a transition period guitar maybe 85/86 before they lost the brass plate and changed the logo?

Pics attached:
http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/sb-1969/library/Metallic%20Blue%20Goldstar%20ST-50

I think you are right.According to my info, 85 serial numbers ran from 19501 to 22500 .Gabe P.S.H ow did they change the logo in 86?

Hi Suki and Gabe,

Firstly they didn't change the logo in 86, they changed the specs. The logo was changed twice in '83.
I know for a fact that 83-85 had the deeper route - I worked on them.
This guitar would be a TST-55 MBR, probably late 85 (MY86)
The pickups seem to have VII on them which would also confirm the
model year.
With the serial number, please remember that they were not sequential like the LS series.
They were put on hap-hazard so be careful. Interestingly the serial # on this guitar is for a Maple neck. Rosewood had 'Lxxxxx'
The girl I don't recognise, not a Tokai model I've seen before :D
FYI - I own a metallic blue Springysound and the differences between your guitar and mine are numerous.
regards
Peter Mac

Hi Gabe, Peter,

Wow, thanks for the detailed insight! This confirms what I thought: 85/86 transition year.

According to the Tokai registry dating section, it states that Goldstars have the italic or script logos, so I thought they changed over to the italics in that year - have I understood this wrong?

The girl is an '85, acquired about 3 years ago. She showed up one day and didn't leave. She likes posing with my guitars:)

Suki

Hi Suki,

You do have the changeover wrong.
I worked for the Tokai Importer in Australia throughout this time and we never got block logo guitars - they went from spaghetti Springy to Script Goldstar for us.
The block logo guitars seem to have all been sent to UK & Europe.
1983 was a very tumultuous year - production slowed due to the increased threats of lawsuit from 2 US makers who had forgotten their 'fanbase' but did not want to been shown up by the Japanese.
They went to Block Springy, then to Block Goldstar over the first 6-8 months before the Script Goldstar was released. In the US, the headstock shape was also altered.
regards
Peter Mac

Hi Peter,

Yes I think we're saying the same thing - sorry my post was a bit disjointed :) I was referring to '86 not '83 when the logo chaned from script to italic (that's my understanding anyway).

S

Hi Suki,

In actual fact 1986 did see the introduction of the italic logo - but only for Super Edition and Special Edition models. My M2002 model had the Italic logo in gold.
All TST , TSS and TTE kept the script logo and name.

Hope this helps

Peter Mac

Thanks Peter, I have been wondering about this for a while - the Tokai Registry dating section clearly states the opposite: Italic logo for Goldstars from '86. - This should probably be changed and updated.

This may explain why I've never seen one! :)

It raises another interesting question for me: how can you tell post-'85 ST's? Presumably lack of brass control plate, and pickups are VII?

Suki

Just an adding to Peter statements, I have seen several SIlver Star Italic Custom Edition script logo over the years,very few but some,they are rare. I would say 1986 and on surely.
But i just remember around 1986-87 Tokai started to source guitars from Korea, ST-40?

Back