'82 ST-60 ? How original is it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voidoid56

Reaction score
After well over a year of ownership (and happy playing) I finally got around to taking a peek at the innards of my ST-60 Springy Sound.

It was sold to me as an all-original '82 ST-60. The model number sticker is still in place, it's got the correct spaghetti-style 7okai headstock decal, a neck plate with an L serial, Deluxe-stamped Kluson-style tuners and Final Prospec saddles, so it seems to check out externally.
Indide, I found the expected U-stamped grey-bobbin pups and wiring and electronics that looks identical to most pics of comparable guitars I've seen. The solder joinns seem untouched. The only detail I haven't been able to match with other Springy's I've seen is the stamped sticker inside the control cavity, though the stamp format and typeface seems to be classic Tokai (what does is mean, btw?).

In short, to my newbie eyes, it seems to a kosher original guitar. But just to be sure, I'd be very grateful for the expert eye and opinion of the MIJ gurus of this forum.

many thanks in advance,

/Hans

Edit: I realised that the pics are huge, so I replaced the embedded pics with a Photobucket link. Sorry 'bout that, I've been on a high-speed connection for too long, I guess. :)

http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/Voidoid56/slideshow/

hi
look real to me ,,,,, for and 1982 st 60
and a rare color ,,, dont see too many off this color
all the best

Nice! And very similar to my '83 TOKAI-logo Goldstar ST-50.

That's also CAR (with the MR paint code) and has a similar cavity marking - although not quite as clear as yours.

Chaps, Can anyone tell me the difference between and ST50 and ST60 here? I have an identical 1984 CAR but with VI pickups and always assumed it was an ST 50?

Suki

Many thanks for the input, people!

I'm happy that a) I apparently got what I paid for and b) because I managed to draw the right conclusions on my own. :)

Is it the combination spaghetti logo Springy Sound and CAR finish that is rare? I've seen quite a few CAR Tokai Strats, but now that you mention it, I guess most have probably been Goldstars.

I was under the impression that the ST-60's had E-stamped pickups. The ST-60 I used to have came with them anyway. Some people prefer the U-stamped pickups so no big difference.

they came with either U or E pickups, C.A.R. is candy apple red.
M.R. is metallic red, same difference i suppose, both cool colours 8)

Latest posts

Back