Old Tokai receipt from '86

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suki

Reaction score
I was rummaging around and found this amongst some old paperwork. It's the receipt for a '84/85 Tokai ST-50 I bought back in '86 (Candy Apple Red).

I wish I had bought a few more at that price!

I also seemed to be fond of Dean Markley strings in those days. Perhaps it was the free sticker in every pack?

http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/user/sb-1969/media/IMG_1495_zpsfbdc3266.jpg.html

Cool!

+1 on the string price!

I paid ?249 for my CAR ST50 in early1987 new. It was a replacement from the "genuine" Fender Strat I had just had nicked.

Was yours second hand or NOS?

Never looked back.

Guys,

Yes it's interesting... I can now buy (D'dadario) strings now even cheaper thank this online! I don't know if many strings are made in the US anymore - I think Ernie's might be an exception.

The ST-50 I bought was second hand, but totally mint. I recall the new price for Tokai's at the time was around ?250-?300 depending on where you went. I went on to subsequently (and regrettably) chuckingout the original trem and replacing it with a Kahler locking trem, while "Fenderising" the guitar. It's been the most used guitar I ever had.

This was the first guitar I bought that felt "proper". It replaced a squire japan 3-bolt 70's all-black that seemed (on reflection) pretty terrible by comparison.

The 1984 price in Glasgow was ?199. That may have been with a hard case but perhaps not as I opted for a Squier Popular for ?189 which came in a green cardboard box! Those were the days!

Yes, my options where also for a Squier (the ones with the silver scripting and black string trees) which was slightly cheaper than the Tokai - but once they were compared side by side. It was a no brainer. It looked right and felt right. The contouring was deeper and more elegant etc
Only ST40 and ST50 were available where I was at that time. ?129 and ?149 respectively. I also recall ST55 as being all maple necks on special order, but the shop may have been mistaken.

Yes, it seems the pre-1986 prices were much lower. The ST-50 price rose to an RRP of ?357 (although nobody would actually sell them for that). If you managed to get one in '84 you would have done well. The back story on the pricing is in an interesting article below:

http://planetbotch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/tokai-tst50-goldstar-sound-1980s.html

Latest posts

Back