Strat Saddles question:

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suki

Reaction score
Just following up on a recent post mentioning "Tokai" versus "Final Prospec" saddles: Is there a consensus on this subject regarding dates?

I get the impression that the general feeling is that the "Tokai" saddles are very early, and that the post-1983 script logo strats would only have "Final Prospec" saddles. I have even seen some posts that regard any "Tokai" stamped saddles of this era as "non-original".

On the other hand, I've seen posts that contradict this, with the theory that (for a certain time period at least), this could be the luck of the draw. This would suggest that there may have been stocks of these older saddles that were later discovered and used.

Of course without a crystal ball we might never know, but I for certain have at least a couple of Strats from the post-1983 script logo variety that have Tokai saddles. I'm convinced that with others reporting the same, it can't be a coincidence. Nor can it be a case of switching the saddles for other older ones; why and how would anyone do this?

Does anyone know for sure or have a strong opinion?

Hi Suki

I have the same issue, I don't appear to have the number of Goldstars as you do but I have two, an ST40 and another which could be an ST50 or 80 (jury is out) the 40 I bought in 84' new and has final prospec saddles, however my other guitar has some obscurities. There is no doubt that it is a factory Tokai, and as the Goldstar script and headstock was only around for a year we know it was from 84' ish, but it is very early as it has the rock and roll fanatics on the headstock. This is where it gets interesting in the fact that it has Tokai branded saddles. I can not see that at any stage anyone would have changed final prospec saddles for Tokai branded ones and if the orignals had worn they would probably been replaced with either unbranded ones or fender or graphtec. So what I have suggested on a number of occasions is the same as you suggest that around this time Tokai had stock of this stuff left over and mixed and matched on their various guitars.

I wonder if the experts will agree?

+1
.The second Tokai Goldstar logo though(after the block logo) and Fender headstock shape lasted till about 1990 in U.K. and Europe.Gabe.

Latest posts

Back