Dark yellow volume/tone controls

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del

Reaction score
Some time ago I asked about the availability of a parchment white scratchplate for my ST55 Goldstar, bought new in the mid-80s. The original one was white, but I swapped this (plus volume/tone controls, etc.) for black. When I finally admitted to myself that black on flamingo orange wasn't a good look, I couldn't find the original fittings, and eventually settled for parchment white.

Poking round the loft (attic for American readers) the other day, to my great surprise and delight I turned up the originals, so I'll be able to return the guitar to how it was. But what really took me aback was that the volume/tone controls had become a deep dirty yellow, which I like, while the rest of the plastic had remained more or less white.

Looking at a preview of Iain's excellent book, which I'll buy when I have the readies, I was struck by how inconsistently the plastic fittings had aged on Goldstars and Springies. On some guitars, only the volume/tone controls had turned dark yellow, on others only the pickup covers had done this, and on others still there seemed to have been no darkening effect at all.

Does anyone know why this should be? Here's a pic of my Goldie with the just-found tone/volume controls; the picture doesn't quite capture the darkness of the yellow (I haven't replaced the rest of the plastic yet).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derek_slade/8436479694/in/photostream

That look is dead on right for a Goldie. Yellow knobs and everything else white is just a hallmark feature of it's provenance. Some of the Springys have yellow knobs and pickup covers due to a different type of plastic used on the pup covers.

Good news Del, it looks right but doesn't look right if that makes sense. I can only think the variation is due to amounts of hardner or other plastic content that leads to the yellowing much like the fender mint green effect. Perhaps Tokai were trying to copy the plastics that Fender used but you would think the pick up covers, knobs and scratchplate would al be the same plastic. They were probably sourced from different suppliers.

On the book, if you sing up to Blurb you usually get a 25% first purchase discount but they alson send regular emails tempting you with offers to buy your first book. Hope you enjoy it. Maybe get your in Volume 2 with those off colour knobs!

Iain

Thanks, Iain - I think I understand your comment about it being right but not right! And Tokai sourcing plastics from different suppliers might well explain the inconsistencies.

Thanks, too, for your tip re the book.

Here is a pic of my heavily used 1986 Goldie, though they seem more off-cream than yellow. The pickup covers and controls both have the same hue.

Photo0410.jpg

Photo0402.jpg

That's the look I'd have preferred for my Goldie, to be honest, i.e. the appearance of consistent ageing.

Also the switch knob on mine has the same cream hue.
It's not shown in the above picture as it was temporarily lost - since found

here's a very recent picture - with new mini switch to get telecaster type bridge/neck combo :)

Teleswitchmod.jpg

Nice, BrazenPicker! I too am watching a couple Springys in Japan. Yours is coming without the HSC, are you using some forwarding service? Bayou?

Latest posts

Back