Body of '79 Silverstar plywood?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulrichke

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I did it. I bought a '79 Tokai Silverstar. (Serial: 9002...)
First impresion. Old, but in good condition. Everything works fine, the One of the pots, the jack, the switch. And the usual oxidation signs on the screws and brigde. Something?s flying around inside. So I think I'll open up the billboard and see what's going on, when I pull up the new strings. Someone's repainted the guitar. I think it was olympic white back in the days, cause thats what on the places the repaint is gone. Now it's matt black with the black billboard. What's looking nice either way.
First soundimpression...not that much outputvolume und a little dull in the sound - even the seller put on new strings (which I don't like to play on, so I'm going to change them the next days.) How about the output vol. compared to other single coil guits?
What about the body, is it a full body or made of plywood? Cause it semms to be slightly light in weight for a full body???

And what about the switch. Mine got a 5-way switch? Is this original (thought it was a 3-way at the fender strats this time) or has it been replaced?

What are your impressions of this guitar. What do you use it for, musicwise. And what strings du you recomment working nice with the tokai-pickups?
Maybe I find some time the next days to up some pictures. :D

cheers

Silver stars are made of excellent quality wood and are great guitars.They are are great guitars as they are,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqbxmIKVH78&feature=related
or you can mod e`m ,like this for example.Gabe. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Nc5JmHs2U

My understanding is that Fender went to 5 way switched from 1977 onwards so the 70's style silver star would be accurate. Besides the Tokai '57 copies are 5 way anyway

Thanks for your answers.

Okay so I searched further more and it seems to be a made of alder. But I was wondering if it's plywood cause it's so light in weight.

Okay so the 5-way switch seems to be normal, I tought it was maybe changed, cause the preowner repainted it, so I thought maybe he canged some parts, too.

What strings are you using, or recommenting with the silverstar?
I'm tending to try some Ernie Ball 009s, right now there are some bigger ones on it and the bending of the neck seems to be concave, so i definitly have to adjust it cause the strings are much too high from the fretboard. :(

Ernie Ball 009's will be just fine on it. A plywood body is generally heavier than alder, also lightweight is usually a good thing for electric guitars.

Latest posts

Back