Difference between Goldstar ST40 ST50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratmann

Reaction score
HI,
I recently bought a Goldstar ST50. The Body is 4-piece and the pickups are ceramics. Isn't it rather a ST40 instead with this specs?
The guitar is in a brand new condition. There are even some parts of the plastic foil on the pickguard.

Here are some pictures:
http://www.bluesroxxx.com/51.html

Are the tuners the stamped Deluxe Klusen types or the chrome covered ones?

Looks more like an ST40 to me.

Chrome ones. Looking different from my other goldstar. the tuners are smaller.

Another question:
Tokai Vintage 80th pickups - is that the name for the ceramic pickups?

Does a ST40/50 have a bone nut or plastic?

they're not st 40, or old st50 tuners. st40 style ceramic pickups maybe.
st40 tuners are like these, but 6 sided not 5 sided.

jonah65 said:
they're not st 40, or old st50 tuners. st40 style ceramic pickups maybe.
st40 tuners are like these, but 6 sided not 5 sided.

Is this (5-sided tuners rather than 6) a definitive indication that it's a fake? I see from Iain Black's book that the ST40 there has 6-sided tuners. I'm particularly interested because I bought what was sold as an ST40 on Ebay some time ago, and it has 5-sided tuners. It does have the Made in Japan and ST40 decals at the base of the neck, though of course they may not be genuine.

well i would say it was fake, as you say st40 tuners from that era should look like the ones on pages 25 and 30 of iains' book.
they are not even the same as the silverstar tuners on page 75.
also the 'final prospec' doesn't look right on the saddles, too fine.
if anyone knows different please join in.

When I opened up the package and saw the guitar the first time, I was kind of disapointed, because I thought this is a brand new guitar. That was my first impression. No dents. Nothing what would point to a real vintage guitar.

Sure, it is possible, that somebody kept this instrument in a case untouched for years. But somehow it looked very new to me.

I would be really interested in the whole story of this guitar. The tuners look different and even the logo makes me wonder a bit. There is a strange pattern of the carrier foil visible. All my other Tokais don't have this.

I found a Tokai Custom Edition (script logo) on Ebay with the exact same tuners as on my guitar. It seems that they used these tuners back in 1986?

Back