Goldstar ID help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldstar76

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum and hoping for a bit more information on a guitar I recently inherited from my late father. I've listed below as many details as I can, but would be keen to know date of manufacture, which Strat this is based on and anything else you're able to tell me about it. I'm guessing it's an ST-55, judging by the sticker on the neck - but thought they were usually metallic colours? It's been in the family for around 20 years and is all original as far as I'm aware.

Serial number 16242
Solid red (Flamingo Orange?)
Maple neck
Final Prospec saddles
Deluxe tuners
'Made in Japan by rock and roll fanatics' on headstock
Single ply, 8 hole scratchplate
3 way selector

Photos can be found here:

http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj568/Goldstar76/

Many thanks in advance.

from the serial it seems 1984. St 55 cause i think that FO color was not standard on st50.

The decals on headstock appear not original. Never heard about "made in japan from rock and roll fanatics". Some expert here could help... :-?

"Made in Japan by rock and roll fanatics" was the the first Goldstar decal before "The quality musical instruments of the world"So I would date your guitar to 83.Gabe.

The early Goldstar logo has the same slogan i.e."rock and roll fanatics"as the late springys.This situation persisted till Tokai was able to get the new one piece Tokai logo. Tokai ,goldstar sound and quality musical instruments of the world all on one logo.I have seen and owned Goldies with the early 3 piece logo.Gabe.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Good to get some background on my new pride and joy :). If anyone can tell me any more about this guitar, such as the Fender year it's based on, etc, I'd be grateful.

Lovely looking guitar! Very similar to mine, which has a serial number beginning 168xx. Though interestingly mine has the ?The quality musical instruments of the world? decal. And it has a 5-way selector switch. I bought mine new in around 1985.

And just to add a cautionary tale: I replaced the original white scratchplate with a black one, many years ago, and very stupidly disposed of the original one. I?ve recently fitted a parchment white one, as in the picture in the link below, but how I wish I?d kept the original.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derek_slade/7123834341/in/photostream

Thanks, Goldstar. It plays and feels really exceptional. The neck is the most comfortable I've found on any Strat or Strat copy. Incidentally, you asked about which Fender model these ST55's were based on. According to the Registry section of this site (well worth a look), it was the 1956-60 model.

Del, I checked out your Flikr photos and really like your olympic white tokai. It is one of the rare ones that seems to have stayed bright white and noit gone yellow. You're not selling it are you? :D

Sorry, Iain, it's staying with me! Funnily enough, I actually prefer the yellowed look, but that one is a lovely guitar, in sound, feel and playability.

Worth a try :D

I could swap you for the yellowy tokai far right :lol:

DSC00406.jpg

Wow! A gallery of gorgeous guitars, Iain! Do you have a similar line-up of maple necks?

The yellowy guitar you refer to does look lovely, but I think I'll pass -- sorry, I don't want to part with mine.

All best,

Del

Del said:
And just to add a cautionary tale: I replaced the original white scratchplate with a black one, many years ago, and very stupidly disposed of the original one. I?ve recently fitted a parchment white one, as in the picture in the link below, but how I wish I?d kept the original.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derek_slade/7123834341/in/photostream
Excuse me for going slightly off topic in this thread, but can I ask from where you got a parchment scratchplate/pickguard that fits on Tokai strats when it comes to matching screwholes. Or did you drill new holes for the new pickguard?

I've been searching for a matching parchment pickguard for my Goldstar without having to drill new holes, but with no success. Is it even possible?

Back