New member and a couple new (old) axes in the stable

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cow_Punk

Reaction score
Brand new to Tokai. Picked these up at the local guitar show today:

IMG_0199.jpg

Think this is an 1981 Es-100 -- serial is 1011822. No label inside however but great shape with original case. Anyone have information about these pickups?

tele.jpg

1985 ATE-67. L23052. Small ding on the back only. James Burton here I come! Likewise, any details about the pickups?

I almost also bought a 1980 "Golden Era Reissue" LP. It was amazing but the tele spoke to me :)

Welcome to the forum!
Very nice guitars you have, I think you chose well.

I am interested in your mention of a "Golden Era Reissue" as I have a Bison guitar from 1981 that looks like it was made by Fujigen that has that same name. The Bison is a rare guitar and it is hard to find info on them but a web search found a reference to a Tokai "Golden Era Reissue".

Is there any chance that the logo on the Tokai might have been similar to this?

Nice guitars..... the 1981 ES100 is the first year issue of the ES models. There were two variations.... the ES100R(ock) and the ES100J(azz). The only difference were the pickups... with the Rock variation being a little hotter.... have to check my notes on their pedigree (ie Gotoh, DiMarzio, etc). Nice catch..... the 81's are regarded as some of the best and most sought after and they've commanded a fairly hefty price. Hope it didn't set you back too much. I have one as well and will never sell it.

Wulfman:

The seller said it was a 1980. It had a small headstock with typical Tokai inlay and the "Golden Era" was much more LP esque font than the Bison you have there. The "reissue" was vertical rather than horizontal from what I recall.

I must say it was a GREAT guitar but had been played and needed a fret job. Was a iced-tea semi-burst with 2 piece top and what looked like one piece back. I was quite torn between it and the tele but the condition of the tele was superb and suits my playing style a lot more.

Marcusnieman:

Actually was a pretty fair price I think given what I've seen on fleabay etc. I had been thinking about buying a historic 59 335 and this appeared to be everything I wanted and a LOT cheaper.

Any details on the pups would be appreciated. I haven't even plugged them in since I got them home but I think they are vintagey rather than super hot.

And I should have said they had a REALLY light Korina Flying V but it needed some work.

Cow_Punk said:
Marcusnieman:

Actually was a pretty fair price I think given what I've seen on fleabay etc. I had been thinking about buying a historic 59 335 and this appeared to be everything I wanted and a LOT cheaper.

Any details on the pups would be appreciated. I haven't even plugged them in since I got them home but I think they are vintagey rather than super hot.

And I should have said they had a REALLY light Korina Flying V but it needed some work.

First thing to determine is if it's an R or a J.... is the orange production label still inside:

CIMG0954-1.jpg

marcusnieman said:
First thing to determine is if it's an R or a J.... is the orange production label still inside:
I would but as above the label is missing-- probably will only be able to tell by taking them out or an output reading.

Only other thing is that the pickguard bracket appears to be loose. It appears it was glued to the back of the pickguard. For those who have them, is this right?

Cow_Punk said:
marcusnieman said:
I would but as above the label is missing-- probably will only be able to tell by taking them out or an output reading.

Only other thing is that the pickguard bracket appears to be loose. It appears it was glued to the back of the pickguard. For those who have them, is this right?

Glued? I'd have to look at mine but I'd bet it's the standard L bracket / nut/ bolt attachment.

Here are the 1981 catalog pages for the ES100 J model.... don't know if you read Japanese ( :wink: ). I know that the top of the ladder ES150 was loaded with DiMarzios and I'm assuming the 100's were as well. But as far as the output readings between the J and R variations, I have no clue:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/81cat_p8.jpg
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/81cat_p9.jpg
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/81cat_p11.jpg

Interesting-- looks like a glue fix only from some online research. Thanks -- if I only I could read it!

Welcome to the forum. I have an '81 ES100RN that is fantastic... the blonde ones are on the rare side for sure. Yes, the pick guard is glued to the bracket.

ES100RN_01.jpg

RyanC said:
Welcome to the forum. I have an '81 ES100RN that is fantastic... the blonde ones are on the rare side for sure. Yes, the pick guard is glued to the bracket.

Beautiful!

I had it set up and played it out the other day at a local jam. I think it's an ES100RNas through the Deluxe Reverb I was using it just howled. It's a keeper!

It got a LOT of compliments as did the 85 Paisley.

Back