Did Tokai ever use Fullerplast on Strat and Tele bodies?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tech21

Reaction score
Hi,
I am just about to strip an awful "custom paint" job from my '84 ST50 (I didn't do the paint job by the way, it was on when I bought it in 2002).

a4bcecb5.jpg

613148d5.jpg

I remember stripping the "white" nitro colour off a 1965/6 Telecaster that I bought new in '67... (yes it was a real Fender, I did it in 1970, no I don't still have it, I sold it in late 1970's for 75 quid, yes I am aware it would now be worth a fortune and it was sacrilege to cover it in Nitro Morse and remove the finish!!!) but... under the paint coat was a very, very hard layer of what felt like plastic that was nearly impervious to any form of abrasion.
I later discovered that it was called "Fullerplast" and Fender had been using it for years (so much for the wood Breathing through the Nitro paint job).

I was wondering, before I start on this one, if Tokai ever used such a thing on their guitars?

A couple of links to discussions on this almost Mythical substance for those who have never heard of it and may be interested. It causes a bit of controversy amongst the people who have been advocating the superior sound of Nitro Cellulose finishes and the awful sound of later Poly finishes...

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/30583-fullerplast.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/fender/10001-fenders-dirty-little-secret.html

The pickups are coming out and a set of Vintage Ironstone Gold's are going in (check 'em out here http://www.ironstone-pickups.co.uk/ ) a new pick guard along with USA Fender pots, switches and knobs.

Cheers all
Tech21

Hi, Tech21

I?m afraid I can?t help re Fullerplast, but I am intrigued by your reference to the Vintage Ironstone Gold pickups. They seem remarkably reasonable in price, but you must rate them, to be putting them in the guitar. May I ask whether you?ve heard them ?live? (as opposed to the demos on the website)? And if so, do they have the famous Strat quack?

Thanks, Del.

Hi Del,
No I have never heard them Live or ever played any. I am going on what people who have bought them have reported, Youtube vids and the various demos from the Ironstone web Site.

As I don't exclusively play Fenders (I have quite a few other guitars at my disposal) I have no idea about the nuances of the Strat Sound I only know what sound I am looking for and sorry but I have no idea what is meant by "the famous Strat quack"

Why not contact Ironstone directly, I am sure that they would be able to answer all of your questions, I found them to be unbelievable helpful.

Best of luck
Cheers
Tech21

Thanks for the reply, Tech21. I will certainly try to find out more about the Ironstones.

As for the Strat ?quack?, it?s a term I?ve come across, used to describe the characteristic Strat sound when the pickup selector is at position 2 or 4. To my ears, it?s a slightly hollow, woody sound. There?s a discussion of the term here:

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/120348-quack.html

Thanks again, Del.

Hi Del,
Ah.. OK I know the sound you mean Mark Knopfler Sultans of Swing type sound... just not heard it referred to as a Quack before.

The main reason I am getting rid of all the electrics on the Tokai as it doesn't sound anything like a Strat to me there is 1x 2-way mini toggle and 1x 3-way mini toggle connected to the selector switch and the Hot Rail type bridge P/U (the other 2 are Tokai "U" stamped P/U's) giving a rather large variety of sounds, none which I actually like and I also think the rather thick coat of paint is stopping the wood resonating, as the other older Tokai Strats I have played all sound more like a Strat than most Fenders do.

I have contacted Tony at Ironstone about the Quack and he says "yes they do have it" but maybe better if you contact him and discuss your needs.

I got the Pickups in less than 4 days from ordering them on the 27th Sept, and that included the 12,000 mile trip to New Zealand which I think was very impressive.
The other stuff I ordered from the USA at the same time still hasn't arrived and the electronics have only just been dispatched today.

Cheers
T21

Hello again Tech21. Many thanks for contacting Tony. I've taken the plunge & ordered a set of the Gold grade pickups. They're going to be fitted to a made in Japan Squier Stratocaster.

Incidentally, I hope you post pictures of the ST50 when you have finished it.

All best,

Del

No problem about contacting Tony, my pleasure.
They should sound good going into a Jap Squire.

Let me know what you think of them when you get them installed... You'll hear yours before I hear mine... Oh well.

I will post some photos when I have finished the Strat, not sure if I am going to paint it or leave it in natural, I'll decide when I see what what type the wood is (if I can identify it that is) and what the wood looks like with the paint off.

Cheers for Now
T21

Hi Tech21,

Good luck with the job.

I won't be hearing the new pickups very soon: the guitar's with my tech for a re-fit, and the machine-heads I want are out of stock and on order. But when I get it back, I'll let you know!

Thanks again for the heads-up re Ironstones (and Tony was every bit as helpful as you said he'd be).

All best,

Del[/quote]

Latest posts

Back