End of fretboard stampings (1981-84 LS models)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishbonz

Reaction score
A solitary 'D' stamped at the end of the fret board. I've personally seen 2, and heard of a couple more - all on 1981 and 1984 LS models - what does it mean? The topic came up a while back on MLP Forum with no definitive answers! I couldn't find any reference here at all.
Speculation:
1. An owners personal ID stamp
2. A special order
3. A factory 2nd (perish the thought)
4. A factory demo/promotional instrument, used for reviews and/or shows etc.

A definitive answer anyone?

Attached pic is from the MLP Forum topic - a 1984 LS
Picture1.png

settebello said:
Wasn't the the D stamp a indication for German special runs?

Volker

The German special edition limited runs were 2008/9 as far as I'm aware, the 'D' examples I've seen are on 1981 and 1983 guitars, so that can't be it.

settebello said:
Wasn't the the D stamp a indication for German special runs?

Volker

Hi Volker
I had a SS-70 (the strat) blonde with maple board, that had a D stamp on the last fret, and back then, I had information from TJ at the time from a Japan luthier who worked at Tokai, who indicated it might be a stamp marking used for export to Deutschland. Forum member togps made an entry here that the D was most likely to be for Domestic use, but, really, if that was the case, there would be many many more, so TJ and I never believed that was plausable.
On the other hand, we do know that one of Tokai's biggest markets in the early 80's was Germany. So then, you would think there are plenty there, but there isn't.

So it would seem another Japan secret stamp marking not yet solved? Maybe another member with a long history with Tokai will know better, such as PeterMac.

The thread at the time (SS-70), got alot of reactions, as was to be expected when new research is presented and is not endorsed by Tokai, makes a hard sell by anyone. So it's understandable it kind of fell by the wayside.

Hi Mick,
yes i remember the SS70 thread,but i did not find it anymore.
Another theory might be a shop special run as it was the Pacifix guitars
signed on the headstock.
On the other hand, my SG Jr is signed SG90D in the pu cavity.
Yes,Glen is right,if he says that its a '08 model,but they dont use
stamps or stickers anymore.

Volker

Anyone thought about it might have something to do with neck shape?
Here?s a 1981 ST-85 with V stamp

TokaiST-851981fretboardstamp.jpg

RyanC said:
Has anyone sent an email to Tokai asking them?

That sounds like a cunning plan Ryan, can't believe I didn't think of that one. I'm happy to do if nobody has already done so - anyone have a good contact email for Tokai JP for such an inquiry?

Even though plausible, even logical, I don't buy the neck profile idea, why stamp just a handful out of many thousands produced (unless they were demonstrators)?

Latest posts

Back