Nice ST-85 on ebay UK

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ez_rider

Reaction score
Hello all,

There is a nice ST-85 gold on ebay UK (item number 140466982338)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOKAI-ST-85-ST-85-GOLD-1981-/140466982338?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20b47c0dc2#ht_502wt_932

It would be great to have your views on originality/price. I quite love the colour, but I think it's probably a bit to pricy?

Andre

Lovely guitar in all respects and it's certainly a rare one.

I bought my ST55 from the same private seller who's is also a forum member. So I have no reservations in recommending him as an honest and trustworthy ebayer.

Dave

It all looks OK, from what I can see. If I was thinking of buying it, I'd want to see more pics though, just to make certain it is an ST85. I had a Goldie in that colour, it's surprisingly "loud", if you know what I mean? It's nothing like any of the more subtle golds Fender used. But my mate bought the guitar & loves the colour.

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

As for price, I can understand why he's asking that, but I think he's being rather optimistic. In the current climate, buying from Japan & then selling on eBay UK = losing a fair bit of dosh.

But you don't see many custom colour high end Springys, so if that's what you want it's worth making an offer.

Mike

Hey, that's the Springy with the 'V' stamped in the fretboard I saw on YJ a few months ago!

stratman323 said:
It all looks OK, from what I can see. If I was thinking of buying it, I'd want to see more pics though, just to make certain it is an ST85.

Why wouldn't it be an ST-85? E pups, nitro..

jacco said:
Why wouldn't it be an ST-85? E pups, nitro..

I didn't say it isn't. I'm just saying what I would do if I was going to buy it. Which I'm not.

Remember - I've already bought an ST80 that turned out to be an ST60, so I don't intend to make that mistake again! If it has a V neck, it sounds like an ST80/85. But I haven't seen the V neck - that's all I'm saying.

I'd be interested to hear if you thought mine wasn't an 80 Mike - nitro test was ok, good pedigree and there's a post from one of the old experts (I forget who now!) confirming there were 80s without V necks...?

Edit: this guy says he has the tag too, which should have the details on it and settle this once and for all :) - I'll ask him for a pic.

Yours is a mystery to me Alan. This is why I'm happier in ST50 territory - ST80s are too complicated!

I will send a message asking for more pictures. What extra bits should I need to look at to be sure it's a 85 and not a 60? Cheers, Andre

That's going to be the only thing that settles it I'm afraid Andre! I've messaged him and am waiting with baited breath for this tag pic now :)

I've messaged you back by the way.

Now re-listed with a start price of ?750.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140467361845&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

I would imagine that this will make it rather more tempting......

stratman323 said:
Yours is a mystery to me Alan. This is why I'm happier in ST50 territory - ST80s are too complicated!

Is there any palpable quality difference between an ST50 and a higher ST? I know the single piece of wood and nitro thing but what real difference does this make to the guitar? Please excuse my ignorance.

I just bought an '84 ST50 Goldstar for ?285 inc postage. I'd say that was a bargain although the seller says the saddles need replacing and there's a faulty tone pot.

I really don't need another rosewood Strat but I couldn't resist! I'm still looking for an early 80s Jazz Sound... and maybe a Hard Puncher too. My wife may end up killing me soon. I've bought 4 guitars in as many months (3 of them Tokais).

bambony said:
Is there any palpable quality difference between an ST50 and a higher ST? I know the single piece of wood and nitro thing but what real difference does this make to the guitar? Please excuse my ignorance.

It's not ignorance, it's a very fair question. I think the answer is - it depends on your definition of "palpable". It's the same with all Tokais - the top of the range models cost a lot more but they are better, if only a small amount better. I remain to be convinced that a one or two piece body sounds any better than a 3 piece body on a Strat or Tele.

Is an ST80 worth 2 or 3 times the price of an ST50? I still find myself asking that - the problem is that many ST50s can be so good. You're also paying extra for the E pickups, which I don't really rate, though lots of people love them.

In the long run an ST80 or similar will probably hold it's value better than a standard model.

Latest posts

Back