Opinion on a ST-60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ez_rider

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and also a complete newbie in the Vintage Tokai world.
I've just manage to get what appears to be a ST-60. Would really appreciate to have your comments on it as to originality and other possible issues.

Pix:

http://imageevent.com/waggi/takaist60mintred

and http://imageevent.com/waggi/extrapicsfortokaist60goldstar

Thanks!

It looks to be original from the pictures. I guess it is from Chingo, I think he would list if there was anything obvious that had been changed.

Congrats, it is a nice looking guitar!

It looks like a textbook example of a mid 80s ST60 to me - as you would expect from chingo (they looks like chingo's pics).

I wonder whose bed it's been hiding underneath for the last 25 years - it looks almost mint. Is there any fret wear? What's it like?

Congratulations.

Mike

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge. I am happy that I made a good deal, on what apparently seems to be the real thing.
I bought it from a chap in the UK, who said he had got it from Japan. It sounds like Chingo is the Master of Tokais, so it could well be one of his guitars (?)
It is still on its way, it was dispatched today. Can't wait to put my hands on this baby. I will let you know how it sounds as soon as it arrives.

Ez_rider said:
I am happy that I made a good deal, on what apparently seems to be the real thing.

Well, whether it's a good deal depends partly on what you paid for it. But the guitar in the pics looks kosher, which is what you asked us.

Hello all,

The guitar arrived this morning. I have to say I was speechless when I open the guitar bag. Believe or not it looks way better live than in the pictures. It is absolutely immaculate. It makes me feel guilty to play it! Even the bag looks brand new - it doesn't say Tokai anywhere, but based on some pics I've seen on the internet, it looks to be original.

The bloke who sold it to me says it is a 1984 Goldie, based on the headstock. The neck plate reads '1983', the saddles 'Final Prospect' and the tuners 'deluxe'. From what I've seen from other Tokais pics in other topics, I was expecting to find 'Tokai' or 'Made in Japan' in those places, which made me feel a bit suspicious. :roll: Are these right for the year? Also, I read somewhere that the ST-60s were not supposed to have 'E' pickups, but 'U' instead (?)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Andr

St 60s are wonderfull guitars.E pickups are the norm at least here in Europe for an St60 and I know there are people who disagree with me(Mike)but E`s are in my opinion the best Japanese Tokai pickups.They have been very favourably compared to Frailins.Gabe.

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd79/bluejeannot/Tokai%20Goldstar%20ST60/?action=view&current=IMG_1804.jpg&newest=1 Here`s some pics of one of mine. Gabe.

Wow Gabe, beautiful guitar!! I love the colour.
I am glad that my guitar has the same saddles and tuners as yours, confirming their originality
What does '2260' means on the neck plate? I heard that these were not really serial numbers, but references to the models that were copied?
The neck on your guitar looks like a V shape, is that right?

Andre

You haven't got your links sorted out yet, have you Gabe? Try this:

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd79/bluejeannot/Tokai%20Goldstar%20ST60/?action=view&current=IMG_1804.jpg&newest=1

Excellent pic - it must have taken great skill to get one as good as that.

:wink:

Ez_rider said:
What does '2260' means on the neck plate? I heard that these were not really serial numbers, but references to the models that were copied?

That is generally the rule, so a rosewood board ST50/55 would have (usually....) a serial number beginning with L, like a 1964 Strat. But Goldstar ST60s seems to be the exception - they have 4 digit numbers, for some reason, & I don't think the numbers tell us anything useful.

FINAL PROSPEC replaced TOKAI stamps on the saddles in the last year or two of the Springys, around 1981-ish.

Thanks for the info Mike,

So based on what the seller said, can is there a way I confirm that my Goldie was in fact produced in 1984?

Cheers

Andre

Ez_rider said:
Thanks for the info Mike,

So based on what the seller said, can is there a way I confirm that my Goldie was in fact produced in 1984?

Cheers

Andre

No, you can't date Goldies that precisely. They were available in the UK in this form till at least the late 80s, but we never established when they changed, as far as I know. People say "1984", but there is no basis for this.

I think that the brass plate under the controls is a good indicator of a Goldie made before 85.St 50s with U pickups rather than v1s or 2s is also a good indicator of date.There were however many Goldies produced in 84 with V pickups as the Us ran out.Gabe.

Latest posts

Back