Hello

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del

Reaction score
Hi! I just wanted to say I?m a newbie here, so hello, and also that I?ve been amazed at the wealth of info available.

Compared to most, my ownership of two Tokai Strats counts as little more than a passing interest, I guess. I bought my first new, in the mid-80s; it?s a Fiesta Red ST55 Goldstar, maple board, serial number 16886. A beautiful guitar in terms of sound and handling, but some time ago I took against the red body/white scratchplate combination and replaced the scratchplate with a black one. Heresy, perhaps, but to me it looks fine (and I?ve kept the original in case I change my mind).

The second is much more recently bought: a second-hand 80s sunburst ST40 Goldstar, also maple board, serial number 213239. Although I?ve read somewhere here that they?re the runt of the litter, it?s another lovely instrument. I?ve changed the pickups for Wilkinsons, which sound excellent. I?ve read on the Forum that the tuners on ST40s can be dodgy, but these seem OK at the moment.

Anyway, that?s me. Thanks for the collective wisdom on display here.

Hi and welcome to the forum Del.

ST40 tuners usually die from lack of lubrication. After a few years the grease dries out and turns to grinding paste containing fine metallic particles that have worn away from the gears. You can use Gunk and a small stiff paintbrush to remove the old grease and then pack the gears with Castrol LM grease.

I've got an ST-55 with a maple board and it has everything I want out of a strat, but the rosewood boards seem to have more fans on here. Mine has the V1 pickups, do you know what is stamped on your ST-55 pickups?

I'm sorry, I don't know. I've never had occasion to look (and though it sounds wimpish, I wouldn't want to, unassisted -- it was a guitar tec who replaced the scratchplate on the ST-55 and swapped the pickups on the ST-40).

mirrorboy said:
I've got an ST-55 with a maple board and it has everything I want out of a strat, but the rosewood boards seem to have more fans on here.

Tom - I'm not sure you're correct about more people preferring the rosewood board models. I certainly do, but generally most Strat & Tele owners seem to prefer maple. I've never understood why, but as long as you're all happy.... :wink:

Del - there weren't really runts in the litters from Tokai! At least not with the Japanese stuff. Even the entry level models were well made - I had a Silver Star SS38 (even cheaper than an ST40) & it was a great guitar. You're right about the two weakest points on the ST40, & you've dealt with one of them. If the tuners work well now, they may work well for many years to come.

Enjoy, & welcome to the club.

Mike

Latest posts

Back