New kids in Town - Tokai LS-120 and Orville by Gibson

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epivox

Reaction score
Hi together,

since this month I am a very happy member of the Japan Guitar community. During the last two weeks I bought two nice Guitars. The Orville I bought from Japanguitars and the Tokai I got from a private guy.

The Orville is really fantastic. Its from 93 and model is 59 LPR. It has Flamed CS Top and condition is NM. It has a very rich sound and superb sustain IMHO. The weight is 4,7kg (10lb 6oz). It is not really a light weight but a very, very nice guitar. It?s all original. The only thing is, that there is a little gap between a part of the binding and top. Mark told me that there are a lot of vintage guitars have this. Any Comments?

The Tokai I bought last week is a total different kind of guitar. It is from ?81 and model is LS-120. Top is flamed vintage Sunburst. As I got it, it was in a ?not so good? condition and the owner declared it as heavy used with a lot of dings and dongs. So I took it and cleaned it, polished it and refurbished it. And What I hold in my hands is amazing. Now the Top looks NM and the back is also in a very good condition. The Guitar was refreted and the PUP?s were not original (SD 59th). But it has a one piece back and a NOT laminated flamed solid Top. And the absolutely best is the weight it has 3.6kg (7lb 14oz). This is an absolute light weight with great sustain, very transparent sound and if you like ? with , let me say, a little twang. It's a rocker. I putted some SD SH-4/SH-2 in I owne.

So I?m really happy with my two new babies.

Eventually I will provide some pics later.
See you
Dieter

Hi,

I tripple checked it. Its definitely no veneer. You gave me a lot of tips about it and everything fits - the middlecut fits 110% and you can see it by checking the grain. The Top grain follows the grain in the Pickup cavity on every point.
Belive me ist no veneer or I must be blind. But why - is it so rare? And 3.6kg is it very special or normal?

Dieter

yes it seems that there were more veneer than solid 120's... but it can still be centre seamed, all the way, AND a veneer..thats how good tokai luthiers were...those are rare but I have seen them..

the only way to tell on those 100% is to file away a tiny edge cavity piece and look for the veneer, but initially following the grain from the cavity onto the top is a very good sign....

epivox said:
Hi together,

since this month I am a very happy member of the Japan Guitar community. During the last two weeks I bought two nice Guitars. The Orville I bought from Japanguitars and the Tokai I got from a private guy.

The Orville is really fantastic. Its from 93 and model is 59 LPR. It has Flamed CS Top and condition is NM. It has a very rich sound and superb sustain IMHO. The weight is 4,7kg (10lb 6oz). It is not really a light weight but a very, very nice guitar. It?s all original. The only thing is, that there is a little gap between a part of the binding and top. Mark told me that there are a lot of vintage guitars have this. Any Comments?

Welcome!

Yes, pics please! I love OBGs.....

I'd like to see what you're referring to about the binding. I've seen that on some really old US Gibson LPs and a couple of Grecos but not on an OBG--at least none of the ones I have.

epivox said:
Hi together,

The Tokai I bought last week is a total different kind of guitar. It is from ?81 and model is LS-120. Top is flamed vintage Sunburst. As I got it, it was in a ?not so good? condition and the owner declared it as heavy used with a lot of dings and dongs. So I took it and cleaned it, polished it and refurbished it. And What I hold in my hands is amazing. Now the Top looks NM and the back is also in a very good condition. The Guitar was refreted and the PUP?s were not original (SD 59th). But it has a one piece back and a NOT laminated flamed solid Top. And the absolutely best is the weight it has 3.6kg (7lb 14oz). This is an absolute light weight with great sustain, very transparent sound and if you like ? with , let me say, a little twang. It's a rocker. I putted some SD SH-4/SH-2 in I owne.

So I?m really happy with my two new babies.

Eventually I will provide some pics later.
See you
Dieter

Welcome Dieter! Rule 1.... you can't drop a bomb about two beautiful new guitars and not give us some pix!!! C'MON MAN!!!!!!
Seriously tho', congrats... they do sound nice. Would love to see the pix when you have them.

Hi together,

here are the first pictures. Don't had the time to do better ones. Will provide it later. The Vinatge Sunburst is the LS-120 and the Cherry Sunburst is the Orville by Gibson LPR 59.

Have a look

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac220/epivox/DSC04054.jpg

http://s901.photobucket.com/albums/ac220/epivox/DSC04053.jpg

Sorry for quality - took it in the night with bad light conditions.

See you
Dieter

since you like both guitars, and one is 2.50 lb. heavier than the other one, which one do you prefer?

AFA the unusually light weight of the Tokai:
The body back must have annual rings that are very widely spaced; that will usually lend itself to a lighter weight example of lumber.

AFA the binding question:
It does happen but it is by no means a common issue.
This may occur on some older/vintage instruments but I don't generally agree with the statement, "a lot of vintage guitars have this."
Also, a '93 model wouldn't be an example of what most consider to be a 'vintage' example.
It's ~16 years old from a date of manufacture.

Nice top on the Tokai :) ...........

Latest posts

Back